Outdoor tenor has high action

Anderls

Reaction score
I got a tenor Outdoor uke a couple months ago and the action seems a little high on it. To the point where it is uncomfortable. Anyone else noticed that or is that just the way they are? Any way to adjust it? It supposedly came with fluorocarbon D’Addario strings on it.
Thanks.
Shelley

Hi, Shelley!

Nut and saddle are not removable, aren't they (see the photo below)? If so, this kind of instruments are hard to set up. But it worth to ask your local guitar tech to set up. I think my local tech reject to set up. You may lower the tension instead lower the action. Just tune down a half step might help your play ability. If you want to stay standard tuning, you can use thinner strings (low tension strings).

If the nut and saddle are solid, even though they are not removable, you can lower the action. However, unless you are confident about doing it, you should take it to a tech because you may only have one shot at it.

I would first get a ruler and take some pics and contact Outdoor. They may offer a solution if the action is out of their normal setup.

John

Well the nut can certainly be filed down to improve the action at that end. For that matter the molded in saddle can be sanded too - IF there is enough height left. As mentioned above, first thing is to measure the existing action at the 12th fret, and then figure out what you would like it to be. If for example it is presently at 8/64", and you want it to be 6/64", then you would have to lower the saddle by twice the difference, or 4/64". And from that photo there sure doesn't look as if there is a lot of that saddle standing proud of the bridge to work with. And remember even if you do sand down the saddle, you are going to have to reshape it to match the original curve (not just leave the top flat from sanding), or else the intonation will be off.

Anderls, this is going to be kind of primitive, but please allow me to suggest something just to see if that action is within the "spectrum of reasonableness"...
Set the ukulele flat on a counter top; take two pennies and stack them on top of each other; slide them under the first and second strings (the A and the E strings), letting them rest on top of the fret wires at the eleventh and twelfth frets (in other words, the stack of pennies will form a little "bridge span" between the eleventh and twelfth frets); now, on the uke that I'm working with as I write this (which I would say has a good comfortable action), the first and second strings are just barely touching down on the top of the penny stack (so lightly that they will slide out if I tilt the uke sideways a little). In my estimation, the action would be too high for me if there was a clearly visible gap between the strings and the penny stack; on the other hand, if the strings held the penny stack down really tightly, the action might be getting a little too low for my taste.

P.S. That's my two-cents-worth.

Last edited:
Anderls, are you a part of any of the Twin Cities ukulele groups?

Where did you get your Outdoor Ukulele? I know that Groth Music now carries these, although I haven’t been there to see them.

One of Outdoor Ukulele’s selling points is a consistent, standard low action—so your post surprises me—but I’m not calling you a liar, either. I like them so much that I had my school buy a set of Outdoor Ukuleles (maintenance free and easy playing—60 tenors and 10 sopranos).

I thought I’d throw out the measurements I see on my Outdoor Ukulele Tenor and let you use that as comparison to see what you think:

Action at 1st Fret: between 0.5mm and 1mm, closer to .5

Action at 12th Fret: 2.5mm

Also...my bottle brown SOPRANO (comparison point...not another tenor)

Action at the 1st Fret: between 0.5mm and 1mm, closer to .5mm

Action at the 12th Fret: 2.5mm

I think that is the action they are shooting for. In many ways, my Outdoor Ukuleles are my most “playable” ukuleles with that wide flat neck (which I think is modeled after a very respected custom builder).

Also...I think the D’Addario titaniums that come on the Outdoor Ukuleles are a little harder on the fingers than other brands. Maybe try Martin 620s or even Aquila Sugar strings.

P.S. I bought a plastic “Credit Card” type string action ruler so I can leave it in my wallet and always have it with me. It is surprising how often I check string action on other ukuleles these days. It’s not cheap (currently $6), but it does include shipping with Amazon Prime. Referral Link

Last edited:
Top Bottom