Josh Rieck 16" Concert, Torrefied Spruce/Quilted Sapele.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UkeComa

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
This is a concert uke with a tenor-like tone. Outstanding for finger style. The 16" size offers great versatility. Includes Crossrock 1000 case. New this uke would sell for about $3,200 + woods and case upgrade. Although neither wood is listed on his site, making this a one of a kind custom.

Originally created for Ukulele Eddie and purchased from him a year ago, my huge hands just don't work with concerts. I'd much prefer to see this beautiful instrument in the hands of someone who is able to make it sing.

There is a small white ding near the cutaway that can only be seen in the right light and angle. Running a finger over it you can't feel it, but it is there. Price takes this into consideration.

SOLD!

Sapele+Uke+Composite.jpg
IMG_20190621_091804.jpg
IMG_20190621_091834.jpg
IMG_20190621_091723.jpg
IMG_20190621_091912.jpg

Last edited:
This is a special instrument, in my opinion. Were I not in the process of downsizing significantly, I would buy it back in a minute. It has a lush, very rich tone and would easily pass for a tenor in any sound sample.

I remember the NUD on this, and went back to find the sound sample, which was posted in the NUD. Stunning in looks, and amazing sound.
Someone is going to be getting an incredible ukulele.

Does this ukulele have a radiused fretboard?

Last edited:
Could you post a video if possible? Hearing would be great. Thanks

Could you post a video if possible? Hearing would be great. Thanks

Hope I'm not overstepping to respond, since it's not my ukulele.

This was the NUD on it.
https://forum.ukuleleunderground.co...Rieck-Torrefied-Spruce-Sapele-16-quot-Concert

It includes a sound sample:
https://soundcloud.com/ukulele-eddie/j-rieck-first-sample-oasis

I went back to find it, because I remember being so impressed with this ukulele when the NUD was posted.

But I'm sticking with 15" concerts, so won't be grabbing this spectacular ukulele.

I'll chime in since I'm the one who dinged it. The "ding" is on the front, near the cutaway. I was tuning my daughter's violin and the darn tuner popped off the scroll of the violin and hit the uke. I took it do David Neely, who is a highly regarded repair luthier who does work on all sorts of instruments, including very rare $50K+ Martins. He confirmed that "ding" is only in the finish and in fact did not break the finish. So, really, it's more a mark than a ding.

Anyone thinking about this, please grab it before I try to convince Paul on a tenor trade!

Thanks Joyful Uke and Ukulele Eddie for the additions.

I can only imagine the tenors you might have for trade Eddie... Very tempting.

I'm surprised this is still available. If you're on the fence, know that Josh Rieck's instruments are not merely sexy sculptures; they are the real deal. The J. Rieck tenor I bought back in February continues to bring me to bonafide tears on occasion, and almost everyone who hears or plays it for the first time goes slack-jawed. Josh has bottled lighting with his particular combination of 'ukulele punch and guitar depth. It's easily my most versatile 'ukulele (that fact that it feels like a piece of fine art in the hands doesn't hurt).

If you play finger style at all and are in the market for a high-quality 'ukulele, give this one serious consideration.

Last edited:
The photos make it appear to have a deeper body than typical. Is it deeper or just the photos? What a beauty...

This is such a beauty. I didn’t see if you mentioned if the fretboard has a radius and if it does what is the radius.

The photos make it appear to have a deeper body than typical. Is it deeper or just the photos? What a beauty...

I don't have a measuring tape here, but it's definitely deeper than my other concert and even deeper than some of my tenors.

This is such a beauty. I didn’t see if you mentioned if the fretboard has a radius and if it does what is the radius.

To be honest I'm not sure myself. Looking at all the previous info posted on it, I don't see anything that mentions it either so I would guess not.

Eddie should know, Eddie?

Wow! I have to say that is a fantastic-looking ukulele. The Sapile reminds me of the mahogany wood from "The Tree". Even the Spruce has a beautiful curl. From the sound sample, the notes sounded clear and precise.

If I played concert and wasn't over-flowing with ukes right now, I'd snatch this one up.

Gorgeous uke, for sure.

I please tell us the nut width. Is it 1-1/2" or 1-3/8"

Thanks

I hope you don’t mind - One more question. I did check Vimeo and YouTube and I couldn’t find a concert video. There were a couple of Tenors.
The SoundCloud recoding was with Bb tuning. If you have the ukulele tuned to C - GCEA please upload a video (preferably)or sound link with the C tuning. And is the ukulele strung with Low G or High G or some other combination.

Thanks much

Right now it's strung re-entrant, but that was a mistake, it sounded better with the wound low g set Eddie had on it. I'll see if I can get a video up, but the playing will be crap. ��

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom