• Never

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 26 30.2%

• Total voters

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Hello, new ukers and UU'ers. I was hoping I could get a sense of how welcome you guys feel here at the Underground.

I was under the impression that we were a relatively welcoming bunch, but a couple of recent posts have led me to question that belief.

So my questions to the new users are:

Do you feel welcome here? Do you feel like you can post a new thread and/or ask a question without fear? Are we too clique-y?

Your replies in this thread will go a long way toward shaping my policies and behavior as a mod and member of UU, so please be as honest as possible.

Thanks!

I am not sure how to put this without seeming ungrateful for the advice I have recieved here.....

But it seems as if the "regulars" here all seem to know each other.....reminds me of growing up in a small town....when someone new comes around they have to work they're way into the inner circle...However you guys do jump right in & offer help & advice abundantly.....so if a clique has formed so be it....relationships are good & tight knit community is better.

Maybe with enough time I can be as cool as Aldrine,Seeso,Deach,Rayan & so on:rolleyes:....I know...keep dreaming:D:D

Also just the fact that you started this thread says quite a bit about your character.

Last edited:
Hey, I had been thinking about getting a uke for several years. Last year I went on several uke forums (not UU) and they were not as friendly as UU. You nice folks here helped me get the info I needed to buy the right uke for me and start learning. That was less than two months ago and I feel right at home here. Second uke gets delivered today BTW.

In my profession (library) we often think in terms of "collective knowledge base", that's what UU is!

***NEWS FLASH - THIS JUST IN***

So while I'm typing this post the UPS man delivered my new uke! I was ordering something from Musicians Friend and could not resist adding on a Rogue Soprano. I expect it will need some tweaking but may do a video review "out of the box".

Thanks again all you UUers! :worship:

"be as cool as Aldrine,Seeso,Deach,Rayan ":nana:

Well, I bought 2 fedoras after joining UU and getting a uke but the cool part comes from the inside. We all have it, just gotta "let it out".:cool:

I would recommend for anyone, if you think someone is being a douchebag tell a mod to give them a warning.

Mods don't be afraid to give warnings to people if they are acting rude. It's in the rules so you can do that.

I've been on plenty of other forums (not for the ukulele) and nobody gives as much advice as you guys on here do. I remember posting my first thread wondering what people will respond to it, or if people will respond to it at all. Not only did they respond with the information I was seeking, but they all did it in a welcoming manner. It seems to me that the ukulele appeals to down-to-earth, friendly people, thats why everyone on here is of such help.

...could not resist adding on a Rogue Soprano. I expect it will need some tweaking but may do a video review "out of the box".

That was my first uke! Not the best of ukes, but definitely well worth the money. I'd like to see your review of it.

Sorry for the cut, and paste Rayan, I did this to bring out a point.

Everyone needs to check number 3 on your post for new users

Welcome to the Ukulele Underground. We're glad that you're excited to start learning the ukulele but before posting in the forum please read and follows these guidelines.

1. Your question may have already been answered in a previous thread. Please try to use the search function in the top tool bar first before posting a question. There is already a scrooge McDuck size vault of knowledge here, just have to do a little searching to find it.

2. Don't 'post whore'. We realize that you may be very excited to jump into the community but please refrain from excessive posting. What is excessive posting? If you are the last post in all of the threads on the 'New Posts' page, you may want to slow down a little.

3. If you are already a seasoned pro and know it, you must check your ego at the door. This is a community dedicated to helping new ukulele players as well as a place for pros to "pay it forward" and pass on their knowledge. Lets not forget that we were all beginners at one point in time and how grateful we were when someone would teach us a chord or show us how to play a song.

You're clique-y, for sure, but I do feel welcome. Honestly. I read way more than I post, but that's just the way I am.

As for downright rude posts, I can remember only two examples. Neither were from the regulars.

But it seems as if the "regulars" here all seem to know each other.....reminds me of growing up in a small town....when someone new comes around they have to work they're way into the inner circle...However you guys do jump right in & offer help & advice abundantly.....so if a clique has formed so be it....relationships are good & tight knit community is better.

Maybe with enough time I can be as cool as Aldrine,Seeso,Deach,Rayan & so on:rolleyes:....

Regulars are regulars because they POST here regularly. There is no inner circle. I am sarcastic to everyone regardless of how much they post.

I would recommend for anyone, if you think someone is being a douchebag tell a mod to give them a warning. ....

Mods - please give Rayan a warning. He is being a douchebag by not clearing out his PM box.

I hope noobs feel welcome here because they definitely are. We are a ever expanding family. I think the more you participate, the quicker you will feel a "part of the gang". I can think of several "noobs" that I've grown fond of already.

OK I voted always because I have found it that way.

Some forums which will remain nameless have certain people who think they are above others. Sometimes to the extent of talking down to someone, being rude, and generally having an air of snobbery.

It would be easy to get into a fight with a lot of people at one particular forum, and I no longer even look in anymore.

I have never found this on this forum and it comes over generally helpful with plenty of information. I have even emailed a couple of members who I doubt I will ever get the chance to meet and asked their opinion on a couple of things, and got a reply even though they have no idea who I am. So no snobbery here as far as I can see and everyone seems very helpful.

Yep. This seems like a pretty friendly and welcoming bunch on here. I'm looking forward to meeting some of the regulars next weekend at the World Congress!

I wouldnt say clique-y,but these people have been around probably since the beginning, so they have come to know each other.Some of my posts have been responded to by some regulars and it may me feel worthy! haha! I'm in no hurry to be a regular, because like others,I mostly read.I find great things on the forum,along with a lot of silly things,but sometimes that just brightens my day.So, thanks to all!!

I've been lurking a bit after my one post regarding what I should buy as a starter uke. The responses to that thread were extremely helpful, and almost everything I have read does read off as a welcoming community.

That said, I am 100% sure that I also read through one of the threads that you are now talking about. It was a pretty bitter conversation that got out of hand. The OP was getting pretty angry that all the usual posters were railing him with the same response and how he was approaching the situation completely wrong, and that he was being way too quick to judge/complain. I'm sure by now everyone who has read it knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Anyway, the fact is, that poster didn't come in warranting a welcome. The post started with all sorts of complaints about how bad a certain company was, without first trying to make any contact with them to resolve the situation. Then, when several members told the user that wasn't exactly good manners, and that he should try a little before bashing, all parties involved started getting extremely defensive. In the midst of the situation going south, the original complaint actually got resolved, but there was still a lot of bitterness among most of the poster in that thread, I think.

It was very unfortunate, but I don't think it represents the attitude of the community in any way (especially in regards to how welcoming it is). As a noobie myself, I almost wanted to step in and stand up for the other posters, but decided sometimes it is better to stay out of the flame-type threads, even if you have the best intention.

Sorry to dig out and open up that wound, but I figured it is kind of like the elephant in the room. As someone who has looked around the forums and seen a lot of examples of how the community acts, I think I can safely say that that was an anomaly. In the future, I guess you could handle threads like that by sending in a moderator sooner to lock it up, but really, there's not much you can do. You can't come somewhere with a bad attitude about something and then expect a pity party. I think some of the posters here at UU got a little caught up in the emotion of it, and were quick to get defensive on behalf of those who were getting knocked, and they could've handled it better, but it happens. Sometimes you have to stand up for what you believe in, it just sucks when you jump into that situation and then it ends up seeming like you backed the new guy into a corner.

Anyway, I am done with that rant. After reading that thread I guess I had a lot to say about it, but, like I said, I didn't want to fan the flames while it was still going. All in all, I think it's a great community, and that there shouldn't be any major changes in trying to cater to new members, I think you already do a great job. Sometimes accidents happen, and you don't necessarily have to change anything because of that, but I do commend you for at least analyzing the situation, and considering change if necessary.

Finally, I'm thinking that we are getting some non-noobs posts here. Follow the rules! :mad:

...kidding!

p.s. Sorry to anyone who actually read all that.

Last edited:
I feel welcomed! I haven't posted much- mainly just reading. But as someone said earlier, I think this forum is pretty down to earth. I don't know anyone, but if I have a question it gets answered.

When I was new I noticed people knew each other but I didn't feel it was cliquey. I didn't feel part of the community right away which is normal - any community, online or in person, is not going to be completely open to you (unless it's some weirdo cult), and you have to give a little to get a little. For example, UU was not going to know who I was if all I asked were uke-related questions, so in the beginning I posted to the getting-to-know-you type threads a lot. Like the Introduction thread, and when did you first start playing, and what is your favorite *insert thing here*. Eventually I got to know them, they got to know me, and that's all it really takes to feel part of a community - is how well you know it's members. :)

So...here I am 700 plus posts later thinking, "how did that happen???" I've never had more than 300 posts in ANY forum I've been a part of. Now, there is this certain thread over in General Discussion that I'm sure accounts for a majority of my posts...come on over and check it out for a dose of extreme weirdness and silliness...but I would never have gotten where I am without the incredible friendliness and camaraderie on UU.

As for a clique - yes, the oldtimers do know each other just by virtue of their time spent here, but the clique seems to be open to all - jump in, be friendly, tell your story, ask your questions, and suddenly you'll find yourself a part of the family! And to feel more comfortable quicker, come on over to General Discussion - it's where you really get to know some of the characters here!

Im still fairly new but a PW so im up the 400's but even from day 1, I felt very welcome here in UU. :shaka:

Top Bottom