Tuning a 6 or 8 string?

GreyPoupon

Reaction score
To the Great Collective Mind of UU:

When tuning a six or eight string, obviously both the doubled strings are tuned to the same note - but what about to the same octave?

Do people sometime tune them to different octaves to give some additional dynamics, or is that practice unheard of for some great reason that I don't appreciate at this moment?

Also, why do 6 stringers usually leave out the E and G for doubling down? Why are these the ones to be neglected and not the others? What did A and C do wrong?

thanks!

To the Great Collective Mind of UU:

When tuning a six or eight string, obviously both the doubled strings are tuned to the same note - but what about to the same octave?

Do people sometime tune them to different octaves to give some additional dynamics, or is that practice unheard of for some great reason that I don't appreciate at this moment?

Also, why do 6 stringers usually leave out the E and G for doubling down? Why are these the ones to be neglected and not the others? What did A and C do wrong?

thanks!

They can be tuned double octave or single. I personally play ggCceeaa on my 8 and GCceaa or gCceaa on my 6.

I love gCceaa with the worth's its got this almost Tahitian sound to it.

I have a 6 string Concert and I play mind tuned to gcCeAA, I prefer the low G and having the A's paired off gives me a crispers sound from my perspective...

My six string tenor is tuned low g, regular g, c, e, low a, regular a.
It has a different deep sound that I like but I am about to swap to my a strings paired.

tuning

The "proper" way to tune an 8 string is- GgCcEEAA, with the two lowest strings an octave apart, while the two highest strings are doubled. Of course with a ukulele you should always do what sounds best to your ear, as for the six string I'm not entirely sure, but this guy is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbC9QSa1P4E

This page may answer your question . . .

An excerpt from David Hurd's site (Ukuleles by Kawika) . . .
. . .The 6-string tenor is a great combination instrument -- both picking and strumming, its fuller sound is great for cha-lang-a-lang style playing. The 6-string tenor commonly strung in two ways: with low G in the fourth course and a unison pair of 440 Hz A strings on the first course; with the normal ukulele G (above middle C) on the fourth course and an octave pair of A strings (220 and 440 Hz) on the first course.

Top Bottom