Mystery 1880s Uke. Is it a Ukulele? A Machete? Please help!

creebobby

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out exactly what I have. It was sold to me as an 1880s Ukulele. Is it? If not, is it a Madeiran Machete? If not, what is it and where id it come from?

I'll start by posting pics:

IMG_6173.jpg
IMG_6174.jpg
IMG_6175.jpg
IMG_6176.jpg
IMG_6177.jpg

I have more photos to attach but it says I've 'reached my quota'.

The instrument is about Soprano uke sized, with a super thin neck, shallow body.
It has a spruce top. Other woods are unknown. Doesn't look like there's any Koa. Can anyone identify?

Weirdest thing - there are only eleven frets to the body.

Also, the fret slots are badly cut. Some are off and there are a few little chips of wood missing. Makes me think the eleven slots were not original to the instrument.

The scale length, if we're going by the eleven frets present, would be 13.55". However, the ghost image of the bridge would suggest a former scale length of around 13.125", judging from the former front edge of the bridge.

It's definitely very old. But what is it and where did it come from?

The piece at the bottom of the soundboard reminded me of this piece displayed on the Ukulele Friend website: http://ukulelefriend.com/ukes/1895-jose-espirito-santo-ukulele/

If it was made by Jose do Espírito Santo, it would definitely be a rare find, even in the sad state it appears to be in currently.

The cloud inlay at the heel is typical of both the Portuguese Machetes and the early Ukes. This one's cloud doesn't 'match' exactly to any of the three original uke makers' known examples. Also, the soundboard and soundhole inlay is violin style, not the rope binding seen on the early Hawaiian Ukes.

The cloud inlay at the heel is typical of both the Portuguese Machetes and the early Ukes, but, this one's cloud doesn't 'match' exactly to any of the three original uke makers' known examples. Also, the fretboard binding is violin style, not the rope binding most often used by the Hawaiian builders.

The plot thickens! I’ll admit, I am just an enthusiastic novice when it comes to these old ukes.

Hopefully someone has an idea. Maybe the Ukulele Hall of Fame could help ID? https://www.ukulele.org/

I'd say it's a machete. The sound board and bracing are much heavier than Hawaiian ukes, I'd think it was built for steel strings.

I wonder if the strings were attached towards the rear of the bridge, like Spanish made ukes. Would that give the 13.55 scale length which would let it play in tune?

What is it? A nice wall hanger and conversation piece. :p
I can't imagine what it would take to get "whatever it is" in playing condition again.

It does appear to be rather heavily braced and may indeed be a machete. Reach out to Shawn Yavacone at www.ukulelefriend.com as he is a heck of a nice guy and has a lot of experience and may be able to give you some thoughts. Either way, if it were mine, I would bring it back to life. Good luck and please post what you find out.

Top Bottom