Just drove to Blackbird to pickup my Clara

Kibes37

Reaction score
Just drove to Blackbird to pick up my Clara

I’ve only had my hands on it for a short time, but wow. My first low G experience and I’m digging it. All the amazing reviews seem pretty damn accurate. Great feel, unreal tone and volume. My UAS will definitely die out indefinitely. NUD soon.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zouucz9B7GopRvpj9

Last edited:
Looks great! Took a while, but should be worth the wait

That's a gorgeous one, congrats! :shaka:

I LOVE the sunburst, congratulations on a real beauty.

But I have bad news for you. Anytime someone publicly announces that UAS has been cured...........well let's just say you kinda jinxed yourself :p.

Enjoy your new Clara

Last edited:
I LOVE the sunburst, congratulations on a real beauty.

But I have bad news for you. Anytime some publicly announces that UAS has been cured...........well let's just say you kinda jinxed yourself :p.

Enjoy your new Clara

Ha, I knew something didn’t feel right about declaring that.

Thanks guys, I think it’s gonna be a late night/ early morn ;)

Congrats on a great new ukulele. My last addition was also a Clara, but I went high G. I was amazed at the tone & volume. Did you choose any custom features other than the sunburst? Have fun with it.

Meant to reply with quote^^^^

When I ordered it feb I was going full bare bones. Then I was told it would be delayed after the first build time estimate. At that point I decided to add the finish, pickup and 2nd strap button. That delayed it another 3 months. Along the wait I came to the conclusion I’m not too interested in low G, but I’d give it a shot. I can’t tell if I really like the low G or I’m just floored by the Clara richness and depth. Some fingerpicking songs sound amazing, but I don’t think I like the strumming anywhere near as much. I read as much prior on past threads. I’m gonna give low G a month, I got high G’s just waiting for their chance, but the jury is out.

I will say this, no other Uke so far has had me fawning like this. This thing seems pretty special. Cant wait to plug in and record. Got a cable and a Jam Plus coming on Thursday. That’s when I’ll do a nud.

What High G strings are you using?

Seriously though... Not sure I’m sleeping tonight :)

Last edited:
I believe they are using Oasis strings. Ask them if they can send you a high G (free since you saved them shipping the uke). Then you can change the one string if you decide on reentrant.

Last edited:
I believe they are using Oasis strings. Ask them if they can send you a high G (free since you saved them shipping the uke). Then you can change the world ne string if you decide on recent rant.

Great idea, thanks!

I had decided on the basic model since it was going to be my travel/uke fest/outdoor ukulele. I kept my eyes open for what I wanted new or used. When a basic model popped up at HMS, I jumped on it. The only thing I added were two strap buttons. I’ve tried several other plastic, composite, and HPL ukuleles, but none come close to sound of the Blackbird.

Oasis Bright strings.

I had decided on the basic model since it was going to be my travel/uke fest/outdoor ukulele. I kept my eyes open for what I wanted new or used. When a basic model popped up at HMS, I jumped on it. The only thing I added were two strap buttons. I’ve tried several other plastic, composite, and HPL ukuleles, but none come close to sound of the Blackbird.

Oasis Bright strings.

I know, I made my Clara less portable, but it may just become my best most played Uke. May be willing to camp with it... In a couple years :) For now the Flea has that honor.

Oasis brights, huh? I was under the impression one needed very warm strings in high G to counteract Clara’s brightness. Good to know those can work too.

I know the Clara isn't expensive--but it has to be one of the best sounding ukuleles on the planet. It definitely looks unique; but for the tone it produces, it's a bargain--and really it should be a "forever" instrument in your family--one that can be passed down for generations without the dangers of aging wood instruments. The Blackbird Clara is definitely one of the ukuleles on my "to buy" list...which also includes a Kamaka Concert.

And if you ever start feeling bad about the cost of the purchase, keep in mind that a starter bassoon of good quality (i.e. not junk) is in the $6,000 range.

Oasis brights, huh? I was under the impression one needed very warm strings in high G to counteract Clara’s brightness. Good to know those can work too.

That's interesting about the brights. I checked the Blackbird website and it shows that the Clara does indeed has Oasis Bright fluorocarbon strings but the Farallon has Oasis Warm strings.

Top Bottom