Wish list ukes? ... Uke Safari?

Doc_J

Reaction score
Over the years, I've had plenty of ukes on my wish list. Usually these are well researched and hard to get. With patience, luck, and financial planning I've been pretty fortunate to get many of those ukes on my wish list. Many times it means selling a wish list uke to get a wish list uke.

I'll borrow and modify Joe Bonamassa's Guitar Safari term and call searching for a wish list uke an Uke Safari.

My wish list/uke safaris have included Moore Bettahs, Beau Hannam, Pete Howletts, Larrivee, Kamaka, Ko'olau, Kanile'a, Pohaku, Collings, Taylor, Pegasus, Hive, Compass Rose, Little River, Boat Paddle, LFdM, Kinnard, Talsma, Pu'uwai, TODA, Kawika, Mya-moe, Lichty, Ono, Blackbird, Martin, Wise ..... and so on. This is a great time in history for finding and tracking down quality ukes.

Recently on my wish list is ....or was a Gary Zimnicki Baritone. I was pleasantly surprised when Elderly had a recently built WRC/Walnut one for sale....arriving here Thursday. I gotta stop window shopping for ukes. The sound sample sealed the deal.
https://app.box.com/s/4hz6pznw528hilonwmoqkdpnvbpxrsq3

1_eed011a5-e5fb-47e1-adb5-7397f9237fac_900x.jpg9_39c848bd-65f9-4697-8fbd-c5eb84935b6b_900x.jpg

What's on your Uke Wish list? Or what have you found on a recent Uke Safari?

My wish list is a bit more pedestrian than yours. :)
I have a couple of Bonanza models I'd like to get. And I'd like something in mango. All of that has a pretty good chance of happening this year. After that, I dunno. (ETA: and maybe a Blue Frog SLN :cool:)

As far as the safari, I'd say I've been on the hunt/lookout for builders that do interesting/different things that are still in the "three figures" range. This has mostly limited the search to folks that aren't really trying to make a living from their luthiery - hobbyists, retirees, "up and comers" - but I'm still amazed at the quality of work these guys have produced and pretty happy with my collection at this point.

Last edited:
I was just talking about this on another thread.

On my incoming list of wanted ukuleles is the new Hydra by Ortega. I know it's a laminate, but it has two necks and that's just too much fun. And they'll be about $400.

On a more serious note, I'd like to get a Blackbird Clara someday, as well as a Kamaka Concert. Also on my list: a KoAloha Opio Sapele Concert. I have the tenor, and it is perhaps my best sounding instrument (really, really close to my KoAloha Concert), and I want to see what the sapele did on the concert scale. If KoAloha ever adds a baritone, I'll add that to the list--and I did want one of the new KoAlana models that never made it to market,

I also have plans for a very special Bonanza for teaching purposes. I'm not sure when I'm going to ask Pete to build that one.

There will be other instruments that show up; I can't help myself when I see a ukulele on Amazon for $25 (that previously was more, such as the goofy Enya sales of the past years).

My safari list is short. I really only want 3 ukes.

Blackbird Farallon - I travel a lot and want to be able to bring one along with me somewhat worry free. This safari stop is close by as I have one on the way.

Hive - Adi Spruce and dark, dark African ebony. I love the contrast of a spruce soundboard with a dark tonewood, and I’ve never heard a Jake Maclay built uke that doesn’t sound fabulous. Got 2 years left on the waitlist for that one.

Moore Bettah - Solid koa, no fancy inlay work. I love his inlays, but they’re just not my style. This one may be hard to come by given his newfound and well-earned freedom from custom orders and waitlists, but I’ll have one one day. Just don’t know when.

I know I have expensive tastes, but I’m looking at probably a 5 year safari. Once I make those three stops I’m pretty certain I’ll hang up my safari boots and enjoy the local scenery.

Then again, 5 years is a long time to ponder new adventures...

My mind can barely put together a simple custom build wishlist, but the ukes/builders I’m most interested in, in no particular order: a near-mint pre-WWII Martin S2 soprano, Kamaka HF-2D Concert Deluxe 100th anniversary, Beau Hannam, Hive, Goat Rock, Little River, TyDe, Kinnard and Iriguchi.

My year-long safari ended a few days ago. My quarry were a pair of high-caliber ‘ukulele (one for linear, the other for re-entrant). After many days in the bush, my senses attuned to the sweet whisperings the wild game, I bagged a J. Rieck tenor purchased from the OP and a Ko’olau tenor.

I’m more a player than a collector, so these ukes will satiate my hunger and guide my development for years to come. I might even sell the spoils of earlier successful hunts. At this point, the only uke on my wish list would be a deeply personal commission, but I’d like to mature more as an ‘ukulelist before I travel that road.

I don’t have a wish list because I have no names to put on it. I like finding local builders who make instruments because it is their passion and not as a primary means of support. I have a ukulele that was made by John Fitzgerald that he made a few years ago for the Orange County Fair. It was his first uke and has great wood working and embellishments. I finally tuned it to B and now it really sings. My uke journey is truly like a Safari as I have no clue what or where I might find my next one. By the same token, I’m pretty content with what I currently have.

John

Fortunately, I've never had a wish list. I buy a uke when something special catches my eye.

Speaking of wish lists, I'm sure most people here use Amazon's Wish List feature. Last night, I made another Wish List just for ukulele stuff. Very handy.

I’m winding down on ukes I want after getting sizes/combinations I might need for recording. Now it’s just the hard stuff:

1) Moore Bettah. Ideally with a beach/hut inlay, but I’m not picky.

2) Blackbird Farallon for deployments. I go to some interesting places with wild temperature changes and it would be nice to not worry about my uke.

3) A grande bouche gypsy jazz uke with a proper tailpiece so I could string it with metal strings.

Anything beyond that is icing on the cake, but those are the last three big ones I’m hunting for on this safari.

A Spruce top Myrtle Beansprout tenor is all I want now. (For now).

I don't think I really have anything left on my wish list!
Sure, if someone offered me a Moore Bettah concert ukulele with a 1 3/8 inch nut, (I have no idea if such a thing even exists), I'd restart my wish list.

But, as a UAS sufferer, you never know if something else might suddenly trigger UAS for me again.

I'm really thrilled with my current ukuleles, and while I still look daily at the UU Marketplace, and often at other sites, I don't have the itch to buy something else.
It's a good feeling. ('Til UAS strikes again. LOL.)

Simple (not too expensive) tastes --- I'm hunting for a Martin C1K.

Fun thread, Hodge.

I've owned most of the wishlist ukes I'd like to own. I've been selling a lot lately and have more to go. So maybe I have the answers to some others' wishlists! ;-)

There are three I can think of that I'd still like to own: Duane Noble, Little River and Jay Lichty, though with Lichty I go back and forth over whether I'd do a guitar or uke build with him.

There are three I can think of that I'd still like to own: Duane Noble, Little River and Jay Lichty, though with Lichty I go back and forth over whether I'd do a guitar or uke build with him.

Have both, let him build a Baby Bard for you! I love mine, perfect blend of Baritone size and Guitar Sound.

As for my own safari, after many years on the hunt, my hunting days are pretty much over. I'm almost completely satisfied with what I have. I still check out what is out there, but I don't strike anymore, even with some great deals on ukes that have had my interest.

Never had a wish list, but did have a bit of UAS, until I found 'my' uke. :D

Eventually, I came across an Ohana mahogany long neck concert, & I knew I'd found 'my' size of uke. :music:

Bought my final uke, a KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert - along with the Ohana long neck concert, I also have an Ohana mahogany (tenor) giraffe neck soprano, & these are the ukes that I now use. :cool:

My safari just veered off-course...happened upon a pretty mint looking pre-WWII Martin S2 for a price I could live with.

One down, eight more to go. :rolleyes:

First off congratulations on your find Hodge. I am not aware of this builder but if you like him he must be good.

Just as Rakelele said I have cycled through a lot of ukuleles and I am very happy with what I presently own. I haven't bought anything in over 6 months which was unthinkable 2 to 3 years ago. But all those hunts years ago lead to bagging all the keepers I have now. If forced to answer then a Hive and a Jay Lichty would be two I would like to own.

It's been two months since the operation on my left hand and I still can't play. That is probably taking away a lot of desire to buy anything at the moment. Ask me again in another 6 months:p

Last edited:
My wish list is a bit more pedestrian than yours. :)
I have a couple of Bonanza models I'd like to get.

A friend ordered one, and the wait time is six weeks. I got mine in less than a month back in September, right after Baz reviewed the Oreo. It looks like he's getting busy.

First off congratulations on your find Hodge. I am not aware of this builder but if you like him he must be good.

Just as Rakelele said I have cycled through a lot of ukuleles and I am very happy with what I presently own. I haven't bought anything in over 6 months which was unthinkable 2 to 3 years ago. But all those hunts years ago lead to bagging all the keepers I have now. If forced to answer then a Hive and a Jay Lichty would be two I would like to own.

It's been two months since the operation on my left hand and I still can't play. That is probably taking away a lot of desire to buy anything at the moment. Ask me again in another 6 months:p

Hi Dave, Hope your hand recovers soon. That’s a long time to not play.

I have a wonderful group of ukes currently, and had been successfully downsizing my collection. Hadn’t bought a uke in over 5 months. But, I really do enjoy exploring different builders. Gary Zimnicki has been building guitars since the 70s, and I’ve been watching and listening to his ukes over a couple years. His work always looks and sounds impressive. I’ll post a review after I’ve played it a while (arrival today).
https://zimnicki.com/instruments/ukulele/

Another builder on my radar is Howard Replogle of Ebi Ukuleles. He started building in 2012, has a passion for building ukes. His website is well worth a look, with pictures and sound samples of his exceptional ukes.
https://www.ebiukuleles.com/about/about.htm

Last edited:
Top Bottom