Concert that sounds like a Tenor?

TobyDog

Reaction score
I don't know if such a thing exists - but does anyone know of a concert that in their opinion sounds more tenor like than traditional concert?

I don't know if such a thing exists - but does anyone know of a concert that in their opinion sounds more tenor like than traditional concert?

Tiny Tenors are the size of concerts, and the ST Concert is the size of a soprano, but they both sound like tenors, with the Tiny Tenor indistinguishable from one.

The Romero Creations concert has a bigger body and was designed to sound like a tenor, which it does. I have one and had it listed for sale, but changed my mind. I think I may list it again.

Do you mean volume or tone? Lots of things affect both. I bet there is a lot of overlap between the sounds of those two sizes.

Do you mean volume or tone? Lots of things affect both. I bet there is a lot of overlap between the sounds of those two sizes.

I guess I'd mean tone. I really prefer the sound of tenors, but I find the concert size fretboard easier to play.

concert that in their opinion sounds more tenor like than traditional concert?

Maybe, I have two long neck concerts, (tenor scales), giving a little more sustain owing to their string length, but not quite the same depth of tone as a regular tenor; I also have a tenor scale soprano that has more sustain than a regular soprano, & maybe a fraction more than a regular concert.

These have become my main ukes since I got my first Ohana mahogany long neck concert, knew it was 'my' size, & bought my final uke, a KoAloha Opio acacia long neck concert - UAS stopped! :D

I think this fits your question - The Cali Pineapple is a Tenor Body Pineapple with a Tenor Scale Neck. So it is technically a concert.

My little Moon Bird punches up a size to my ear, so maybe a concert Moon Bird?

Have you ever tried a KoAloha? I think the concerts come with Low G as standard, and you'll get as big (or more) quantity of sound out of a KoAloha Concert as you would from most tenors. There are Opio models that are less expensive, that are often pretty affordable used.

I have two 16" scale concerts. My 16" William King koa has the traditional figure eight lower bout and has that nice classic concert uke sound. My 16" Goat Rock koa has the classical or rounder/larger lower bout and has that warmer and lower tenor sound. Both are strung linear, and the Goat Rock has a side sound port.

If you are interested in a decidedly upscale concert that sounds more like a tenor check out this beauty in the marketplace. There is a sound clip posted by another person.

Josh Rieck 16" Concert, Torrefied Spruce/Quilted Sapele

Sorry, the link didn't copy. It's a recent listing.

WARNING: It's a fantastic looking instrument with gorgeous woods and build. Sounds excellent too. Beware of her charms. Especially if you suffer UAS...

Last edited:
I think the concerts come with Low G as standard, and you'll get as big (or more) quantity of sound out of a KoAloha Concert as you would from most tenors.

I have not noticed any KoAlohas with low G tuning when I was at their factory tour last year. But I bought a KoAloha concert because I wanted to contrast my tenor with brighter and punchier sound.

I like tenors because of their playing comfort and higher volume, but their main downfall is the lack of punch and brightness that is so characteristic of the beloved ukulele sound. That's why my main uke is now a six-string Kamaka tenor, as I wanted to get some more punch into the tenor package and the additional higher strings deliver that.

I expect that a laminated wood body with nylon strings of any brand would do the job to tone down a concert.

Last edited:
I would second a Blackbird Clara. Pretty insane volume and sustain. To me it has more of a tenor tone than a typical concert.

John

Perhaps a concert with a bell bottom such as the kamaka Ohta San. It also has an in-between scale length of 16”. Tenor is 17” and concert is 15”. The bell bottom creates a deeper tone and bassier and the slightly longer scale length gives the near tenor type of voice. It does cost so pretty dough.

Edit:
Oh it comes with Low G as well.

Tone from yours ( the player) or others (the listener) perspective?

What is your budget? Also, what kind of tenor sound are you seeking? There’s a notable difference between a classic all-mahogany tenor and miniature guitar-style cedar- or spruce-topped tenor.

Knowing a bit more would help us constrain our suggestions to a more useful range.

Top Bottom