Too many ukes?

Tana

Reaction score
I own several ukes: A soprano, a tenor, a baritone and a ubass. I am considering buying a banjolele and cannot decide if I want a concert or tenor size. Any suggestions?

Hi Tana,
I would say whichever size fits your hands the best, the size doesn't seem to make much difference in tone.
On one hand, it looks like you can play any size you like.
On another hand, you don't own a concert size uke yet, soooo....

As above, concert, as you don't have that scale yet, & banjolele are loud anyway - then with a bit of use of all the scales, you'll know which you like best, for your future purchases. ;)

I have several banjoukes, and they're all concert. I'm not sure if I was offered a choice of size, but that's the way it worked out. These tend to be heavy, and a concert would be lighter and less expensive. Ultimately, I don't think it matters in the long run. Whatever you get, you'll pick it up and play it.

What brand are you considering?

It looks like you're comfortable in a number of sizes. with BanjoUkes it starts getting down to weight. Deering weighs a ton down but sounds really like a banjo, to Firefly and Duke10 which weigh very little.
I wanted light so I bought that Duke 10. Loved the sound and weight, but sold it because the tenor neck is too big for me. That one even had a pickup built in. I think it has the best sound of the lighter weight ones

There have been a couple of threads recently on banjo ukes so you might take a peek.

Top Bottom