Favorite uke now on The Ukulele Site

Tyde koa concert. Great looks but it’s the sound.

Yours?

It looks like that one has sold, but it was up there for me while it was there.

Right now there are three for me: that Lotus custom, the new 16” scale Ono, and the electric Moon Bird I posted about recently. Window shopping is dangerous...:)

Yours?

Remember this? "I'm Buster Brown. I live in a shoe. That's my dog Tige. He lives in there, too." I remember that from TV commercials when I was a kid. The "Tyde" reminded me of that.

It looks that Tyde is gone.

Yours?

The Tyde was a real temptress, if it had been a Tenor it'd likely be in my collection now. I have 2 of theirs and I love them both!

Right now it's the Ko'olau. Way out of my budget, but one can dream.

I keep going back to this one:
Hoffmann ML Style Custom Cedar/Ebony Concert (HMLC1038)

But, unless I can convince myself to sell some ukuleles, it won't land in my house. And, I can't convince myself to sell anything I have.

KALA USA PORT ORFORD CEDAR KOA TENOR (KOA-CT-T 70319)

Certainly not the most expensive uke on the site, but I really like its sound.

A really liked the Tyde "Apelila", but concert size is too small for me.

Yeah the tyde is sold but you can still access the page and hear the demos by Tobias and Cory.

Guess I’ll have to pick another to imagine I can get.

Last edited:
I didn't care for the engraving on the Ko'olau. Too much. But it sure has a sweet tone.

The maple Kala is stunning, and it sounds a lot like my maple and spruce Loprinzi. At least on video. Looked like Corey didn't want to put it down.

Kala has really come a long way since I bought a mid range price one over 6 years ago. I think I read somewhere that Kala sold 5 million ukes last year???
They seem to be the non Hawaiian uke for other brands to shoot for.

I liked watching Tobias smile playing the Kanilea, but the video didn't work well for me.

There are so many nice ukes available these days, if one has a bit of money to spend, there's no excuse to buy a piece of junk.

It's cool to see Seagull get into the ukulele fray. A friend of ours has a Seagull guitar, and she says she'd rather play it than her Martin! (Maybe she's afraid of beating up her Martin)
I bet the Seagull ukes will be good.

I keep going back to this one:
Hoffmann ML Style Custom Cedar/Ebony Concert (HMLC1038)

But, unless I can convince myself to sell some ukuleles, it won't land in my house. And, I can't convince myself to sell anything I have.
Yep, that’s the one I keep looking at as well. Such interesting design features & great sound.

It's the Ono. It must have been returned because I was going to buy this same uke about a month ago, but it was snatched right before I could buy it myself. I still really want it, however I just purchased a Rebel Particle a couple weeks ago.

Ooo yeah, I keep eyeing that Hoffman too! I love the Cedar Ebony combo.... I keep telling myself "no you cannot sell a kidney to buy a ukulele....no you wilil not sell your car to buy a ukulele....hmmm wonder if I could sell a few I don't play as much and buy it before someone else does".

Seriously though, the sound on the little sucker is awesome, and I dig the different look too. I haven't gone gaga for the sound of an uke since my Moonbird Concert (best uke ever!!!!) which I totally adore! I'd love to see a special edition cedar/ebony moonbird.... wonder if World of Ukes could be talked into doing another special edition MoonBird.... (must not sell a kidney to fly to England to buy a uke!!!!)

I actually really like the Kala Flame Maple cutaway tenor that popped up recently too. I really like how it seems perfect for mid range.

Last edited:
I've played that exact Hoffman cedar/ebony quite a bit. It IS very nice. I would suggest that it suits a player with a lighter touch. A bit too punch under a heavy attack. IMHO.

I've played that exact Hoffman cedar/ebony quite a bit. It IS very nice. I would suggest that it suits a player with a lighter touch. A bit too punch under a heavy attack. IMHO.

Do you know the nut width?
I assume it's good for fingerstyle?

Even if it’s not in stock or I can’t afford it anyway I find it nice and interesting to go give a listen to what fellow uuf members mark as special.

Even though I'm in thin the herd mode big-time, I always check out the new stuff at HMS. I've really been liking the tone of the Kala Elite's since they went to the x-brace. And when you add in this incredible set of eye candy myrtle, it became too much to handle. My finger started twitching and in the cart she went!

https://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-usa-spruce-myrtle-tenor-stmr-st-2388.html

watch for the 2 new Pigeon Tree ukes...Corey recording them tonight....should be on Vimeo soon...:) very nice ukes from newer builder that is now showing his ukes at HMS

these are very nice check them out...the 2 that were sent here a few months ago sold very quickly to the same person

Last edited:
Top Bottom