Why?

Rllink

Reaction score
I just joined a couple of strum-a-long groups and I have enjoyed playing with them more than I thought that I would. I know that this is going to come off as complaining and will probably go sideways on me quickly, but I got to ask it. Why is it that when you get a bunch of ukulele players together for a strum-along, while others are talking about upcoming gigs, doing announcements, introducing songs, whatever business needs to be addressed, people are picking at their ukuleles like they can not sit still for a second without making some noise? I find it a lot in workshops as well. The presenter is up there trying to talk or show how to do something, and a half dozen people in the peanut gallery are rudely plucking away. So I'm just curious, why do people do that? Do they want attention? Do they think that they are making a good impression and others will admire their pluckability? Are they nervous and they just have fidgety fingers? Are they bored and mentally drifting off in their own plucky world, oblivious to the rest trying to listen? I just want to know why they can't stop long enough to listen. It happens at every group activity I go to. I don't want this to turn into a bitch session, I would really like some incessant pluckers to chime in and explain what they are doing. I'm curious. I think that if I knew why it would not be so annoying.

Last edited:
I just joined a couple of strum-a-long groups and I have enjoyed playing with them more than I thought that I would. I know that this is going to come off as complaining and will probably go sideways on me quickly, but I got to ask it. Why is it that when you get a bunch of ukulele players together for a strum-along, while others are talking about upcoming gigs, doing announcements, introducing songs, whatever business needs to be addressed, people are picking at their ukuleles like they can not sit still for a second without making some noise? I find it a lot in workshops as well. The presenter is up there trying to talk or show how to do something, and a half dozen people in the peanut gallery are rudely plucking away. So I'm just curious, why do people do that? Do they want attention? Do they think that they are making a good impression and others will admire their pluckability? Are they nervous and they just have fidgety fingers? Are they bored and mentally drifting off in their own plucky world, oblivious to the rest trying to listen? I just want to know why they can't stop long enough to listen. It happens at every group activity I go to. I don't want this to turn into a bitch session, I would really like some incessant pluckers to chime in and explain what they are doing. I'm curious. I think that if I knew why it would not be so annoying.

If it is preventing some people from hearing what the presenter is saying, wouldn't he/she ask the pluckers to stop? Just curious, are others also bothered, or is it just you?

Well, Mr. Link, this inquiry is going to go sideways on you quickly... just kidding!! Actually you have a great point!! It reminds me of soccer practices when my kids were growing up-- every time the coach would be trying to explain a particular play or technique, several of the kids would be standing there either "juggling" their personal soccer ball with their feet, or dribbling it like a basketball. Used to drive the coach crazy, and often he'd have to shout, "Hold the balls!!!!!" Honestly, I think it's just our natural "fidgetiness" coming through. Also reminds me of one of my biggest pet peeves from my band days... when one of the other guitarists would play the first few chords of the song that we were about to launch into, right before the count was given, and he'd do it at pretty much full volume, so that the audience would have a heads-up as to what we were about to play. I'd always tell him, "Please don't give it away!" But again, it's not life or death, but it is a little annoying!

That's called noodling - a good name for it. Yes, that is very annoying, and I work at not doing it. I know several people who make a habit of doing that, though. Tuning the uke at inappropriate times is another problem. When you have a uke in your hands, it's hard to resist making noise with it. I often do that while I'm watching TV - just playing with the strings.

In a workshop, it's super annoying. Some instructors are very good at stopping noodling. They are loud, firm, and almost rude - as rude as the people playing over their talking. I like instructors like that. Whether in a workshop or at a group session, it's nice to hear what people are saying, and I don't know why those noodlers can't be more courteous.

If it is preventing some people from hearing what the presenter is saying, wouldn't he/she ask the pluckers to stop? Just curious, are others also bothered, or is it just you?

Well I guess that I haven't gone around specifically asking others, so I don't know. I do know that at a Del Rey workshop I went to she called out the first person who started noodling while she was trying to talk and told him to quit, that it was distracting, so I guess there are two. Why do you ask? Are you one? If you are, maybe you could share your reason for it.

Last edited:
Well I guess that I haven't gone around specifically asking others, so I don't know. I do know that at a Del Rey workshop I went to she called out the first person who started noodling while she was trying to talk and told him to quit, that it was distracting, so I guess there are two. Why do you ask? Are you one? If you are, maybe you could share your reason for it.

Never have been to a strum along and have never had a desire to go to one, so I can't help you. I just know that if I were the presenter and it was a problem, I would address it, and if I couldn't hear the presenter, I would let him/ her know so the problem could be solved. If I could hear, I wouldn't consider it a problem.

Dirty, rotten noodler here.

I think giddiness is part of it; being around other 'ukulelists is exciting and unusual for many new uke players, and the instrument can seem like a natural conduit for hyperactive impulses. Then there's the soothing, tribble-like nature of the 'ukulele which leads to idle playing habits that can manifest as noodling. I try not to do it when in groups or at workshops; I'm more disciplined when I practice and perform, so I'm definitely capable of arresting the activity.

Just politely direct the noodler(s) to stop. I don't think you'll chase any away; they'll be a bit crestfallen, but it's for the good of the collective.

Rollie, well put, and a good reminder to me. I find myself "noodling," often to work out a passage or to even arrange something on the fly. It would be more appropriate for me to move and go somewhere else when I need to do this.

Chris

All fair points, Ubulele; noodling is definitely destructive, disrespectful, and self-indulgent. I'll admit to not being truly attentive when noodling, and I can see how confrontation avoidance might be one reason people don't complain about it more often.

Unfortunately, noodling is difficult to curb without being direct. The inconsiderate line of reasoning that leads to noodling often results in noodlers not stopping of their own accord unless they are invested in the meeting's outcomes. For my own part, I try to be more reflective about it, but I still catch myself doing it on occasion.

When I lead small group workshops, I accept the onus of putting a stop to the behavior, usually by making a "get it out of your system now" announcement while setting up then curtailing the behavior before I begin. Once the workshop is underway, I address any continuing offenders directly (including those playing on muted strings, as that's still distracting to both themselves and those in their immediate vicinity).

It's a bit similar to the problem of cell phone cameras at concerts. If the audience cannot be relied upon to moderate their own behavior, I'm not sure there any comfortable solutions exist other than direct addressal of the offending behaviors.

Last edited:
To manage my personal tendancy to fidget, I bring an instrument stand and try to put my uke down out of my hands while the instructor lectures. I can't unconsciously noodle without an instrument. Doesn't stop finger tapping, but that's quiet ;)

This is definitely not restricted to uke-based gatherings. I've been in several bands, rehearsals for which seemingly break down into noodle-fests between every other song. As has been said, while a few might just want to show off, I think a lot of players are extra excited in those situations and just don't know what to do with restless energy. Noodling is the best when you're "intending" to noodle. When it's a compulsion, it's really just annoying for everybody lol.

(I'm also a middle school teacher, so I gotta say people filling time and space with incoherent, disconnected, stream-of-conscious meanderings is kinda the rule rather than the exception in my world.)

I haven't been to any strum-alongs or workshops, but I suspect the noodling may be a bit like people who are constantly looking at their phone. People seem to have trouble concentrating on the task at hand, and keep thinking that there is something more interesting or fun out there, I guess.

I'm currently reading Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's book "Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience", and he lists 8 major components of enjoyment, which includes "We must be able to concentrate on what we are doing." So quite likely, the noodlers aren't enjoying the workshop or strum-along as much as they could if they fully concentrated on the instructor or group leader, and what the group is doing. And if the noodling distracts someone else, (as it clearly does), their enjoyment is being diminished too.

Never have been to a strum along and have never had a desire to go to one, so I can't help you. I just know that if I were the presenter and it was a problem, I would address it, and if I couldn't hear the presenter, I would let him/ her know so the problem could be solved. If I could hear, I wouldn't consider it a problem.
For many years I did not think that I wanted to join a ukulele group and sit around strumming songs with a bunch of ukulele players out of the yellow and blue books. But just this summer I was persuaded by a friend to play with her group. I actually enjoy it more than I thought that I would. Now I find myself in two groups. I had to actually experience it to appreciate it. Anyway, back to my original point. The incessant noodling is mildly annoying. Not something that I'm going to jump up and down about and raise a fuss with everyone in the middle of our sessions. I guess that in any social gathering one has to put up with a certain amount of annoyance. Also I don't know why more presenter's don't say something, although it appears that some here at least do. I can't imagine that they like it. I'm with you, if I was presenting I too would ask people to quit plucking around while I'm talking. But I did not bring it up in order to use the power and reach of UU to put an end to incessant noodling once and for all. My question was more to those who do it. I simply wondered why. What they are trying to accomplish? So that's what I'm hoping to discuss. But people can take it where they want. I enjoy the discussion wherever it goes.

Last edited:
Haven’t played with any groups yet, but I am definitely guilty of noodling in public when I could be engaging with others around me in conversation.

I’ve always been an anxious person in group settings, especially when it is a group of acquaintances or strangers and small talk is required. I’ve found it easier on my anxiety to sit and listen while quietly practicing my fingerpicking in the background. I haven’t had anyone complain yet, but that doesn’t mean I’m not annoying someone who is too polite to say something! And really, making small talk is easy for me once it starts...it is the starting that I struggle with.

As for musicians noodling between takes or songs, that used to drive me insane in my trumpet days. Jazz band was always the “worst” as people just couldn’t let go of practicing difficult licks or improv ideas between rehearsal takes. Thankfully it never happened in live performances, but it did feel very rude towards not just the conductor but all the other musicians in the ensemble whose time was being wasted by the noodlers.

This thread has me rethinking my absent-minded noodling in public. Perhaps I’ll be more engaged with those around me and I’ll get rid of some bad habits, too.

I live in a constant state of distraction. I was making breakfast while going through this thread a few posts at a time.

I would put much of the responsibility on the speaker/instructor/organizer (while not absolving myself of responsibility). If I came to your meetup and others were noodling while someone was speaking, I would learn that it was okay to do so. Others know it is an issue and have learned to put a stop to it (samples cited here). How does each person react at the end of the song? Do they think about the chords? Do they start looking for the next song on the schedule? Do they turn to their friends and say "that sounded good"? The distractions are inherent before their attention is requested/demanded.

Have you ever heard something like: "We are now going to take a break... but first I want to make a few announcements." Well, once you announced "break", people were starting it.

Haven’t played with any groups yet, but I am definitely guilty of noodling in public when I could be engaging with others around me in conversation.

I’ve always been an anxious person in group settings, especially when it is a group of acquaintances or strangers and small talk is required. I’ve found it easier on my anxiety to sit and listen while quietly practicing my fingerpicking in the background. I haven’t had anyone complain yet, but that doesn’t mean I’m not annoying someone who is too polite to say something! And really, making small talk is easy for me once it starts...it is the starting that I struggle with.

As for musicians noodling between takes or songs, that used to drive me insane in my trumpet days. Jazz band was always the “worst” as people just couldn’t let go of practicing difficult licks or improv ideas between rehearsal takes. Thankfully it never happened in live performances, but it did feel very rude towards not just the conductor but all the other musicians in the ensemble whose time was being wasted by the noodlers.

This thread has me rethinking my absent-minded noodling in public. Perhaps I’ll be more engaged with those around me and I’ll get rid of some bad habits, too.
I am not immune from it. I mean at gatherings I'm pretty self disciplined and make the effort to give people my undivided attention. But when I'm sitting around noodling in the privacy of my own home and my wife comes down to talk to me, sometimes I try to give her my attention while my fingers are still working the strings. My wife is not understanding in that regard. She will not hesitate to tell me to put it down and pay attention. Maybe that has something to do with my sensitivity to the subject. I've been called out enough times. :) But to answer my own question, I guess that I don't even realize that I'm doing it when she is talking to me. Maybe it is some subconscious human trait. I don't know.

Last edited:
For many years I did not think that I wanted to join a ukulele group and sit around strumming songs with a bunch of ukulele players out of the yellow and blue books. But just this summer I was persuaded by a friend to play with her group. I actually enjoy it more than I thought that I would. Now I find myself in two groups. I had to actually experience it to appreciate it.

I am into chord melody and finger picking, so I would be a fish out of water at a strum along. I also approach new songs slowly and take awhile learning them because I learn it piece by piece, going to the next part after I memorize the first. Strum alongs would not be a good fit.

I had one other thought after responding earlier...a lot of learning happens during that noodling. A group should also build some planned noodle time before starting a song or between songs and encourage more advanced players to sit among the less experienced players so that they can offer assistance in those times.

One of my pet peeves as it comes to jams is when there is extended discussion about songs rather than playing. I’m most tempted to noodle when the group is talking and continuing to talk and there is no playing going on.

Leading a jam isn’t hard; leading one well requires a balance, practice, and lots of previous failures.

It seems like it's human nature. I was chastised by a girlfriend I was breaking up with because I was also plucking my guitar at the same time.

I know it was impolite and since then I've tried to work on it.

But with other people, it helps them concentrate. Stevie Ray Vaughan's wife would tell him to play guitar when she had important stuff to talk about or he wouldn't be able to focus.

Top Bottom