Saturday in the Park (Chicago)

I've never heard this song before. Very unusual.
I HAVE heard your talent MANY times before though John, and it's again well showcased here.
Nice one bud! x

Thanks, Dave! The song peaked at Number 3 on the Billboard charts. I don't know how it did in the UK, though.

Thanks, Dave! The song peaked at Number 3 on the Billboard charts. I don't know how it did in the UK, though.

I just spent the last 20 minutes online looking it up. I've checked the top 100 singles between 1970 and 1979 and can find NO reference of it ever having been released here in the UK - let alone having been charted. Strange...unless some more knowledgable UU member can enlighten me?

Thanks for spending time looking up the song in the British charts. Don't tell me the 4th of July reference got the song banned by the BBC?! Wasn't the group Chicago popular in the UK? Anyway, I'm glad to have introduced the song to you. Please do have a listen to the original by Chicago! :)

Thanks for spending time looking up the song in the British charts. Don't tell me the 4th of July reference got the song banned by the BBC?! Wasn't the group Chicago popular in the UK? Anyway, I'm glad to have introduced the song to you. Please do have a listen to the original by Chicago! :)

They were quite well known here but it seems not for that particular song John. For info, these appear to be the only charting hits they had in this country...(edit: thought this image would be bigger and clearer, sorry mate.)

Chicago.jpg

Thanks for sharing the info, Dave! :)

Excellent tribute to woodstock John............Lovely playing and vocals!
Chicago was not as popular in the Uk as many other US bands at the time. 25 or 624 was well known also I'm a man from that period.
I watched a program about Chicago on Netflix a while ago. It was very interesting listening to how the bands dynamic changed over time.......They have been together for over 50 years!
Nice that you thought to celebrate this band John and I really enjoyed it as usual!
Mike

Thanks, Mike! I'd like to see that program. They were popular in Hawaii and I like many of their songs! :)

Great cover John.
Love Chicago, the band.

Its funny what charts and where.
Paul McCartney's Mull of Kintyre was a monster world wide hit, but didn't do well
in the USA. Go figure.

Last edited:
Thanks, Maki66! I think a lot of it depended on what the radio stations played from area to area. I wonder what formula they use nowadays to determine chart position?

Thanks, Brenda! "Colour My World" was a great slow-dance song as I recall! :)

Thanks, Laurence! I really appreciate it! :)

Thanks, Brenda! "Colour My World" was a great slow-dance song as I recall! :)

It sure was John! I remember slow dancing with a young lady at a school dance - very romantic. She had her head on my shoulder and I was softly singing the lyrics in her ear. She pulled her head back, opened her mouth, and asked me to please stop singing. Shot down in flames... :(

Great job (as always) on this cover, John.

Bill

Thanks, Bill! Sorry, but your story made me laugh! :D

She pulled her head back, opened her mouth, and asked me to please stop singing. Shot down in flames... :( Bill

Oh jeeze, that made me laugh. I get that from my family all the time! lol

Top Bottom