Identifyng a Vintage Martin ukulele

unrealdark

Reaction score
C4491764-5511-41BA-BEF7-7810D50FF7A9.jpg1A386A59-41E6-4C11-962D-F50B7E5D7EF4.jpg1A6F2541-480E-4DCA-A5EF-4658825608D9.jpg

Someone is selling this but he doesnt know anything about it.
There is a strange code/serial. Can you give me any detail?
Thanx.

Last edited:
Very hard to see detail in these photos. The headstock appears to have the decal on front, but not the stamp on the back, correct?

Is there any binding around the top or back? Does the 7th fret position marker have one or two dots? Is there something written below the inside brace where the Martin stamp is?

The code/serial number may have been added later, or perhaps this was done in later Martins? (I’ve only been focused on pre-1940s models, which I haven’t seen this on).

I have been using this as a guide since I don’t have the Martin history book:
http://www.guitarhq.com/martin_ukes.html

Someone with more knowledge can probably help more specifically, especially if additional higher res photos are available. Best of luck!

Last edited:
It is tough to see much in those photos. It looks like a stye 0 soprano. Schools often marked their instruments with identifying numbers.

I can't tell much about it without pictures of, The side of the tuners (may have been replacements) The bridge, and YogiTom's requests.
The serial numbers are add on for what ever purposes.

Sorry for the poor quality. Uploaded from my phone.
I have no access to this ukulele, sorry. But Im putting here a link to the seller pics (bad quality too but better).
Thank you again.

https://imgur.com/a/5XC4Y3n

:)

Everything look legit, like a normal vintage Style 0 should, except for the number. But you can clearly see while it is stamped on the back, it's hand-written on the inside. So I assume this uke belonged to a school or some other organization where they were inventorying them. I would personally be more concerned with a crack on the back and the action. As for the numbers, these ukuleles are over 50 years old. (Mine is getting close to a 100) and people were messing with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it... Just my 2 cents. :)

With the cracks and all it is not museum piece. If they are solid and don't move or rattle when played. Just play it. An upgrade on the tuners may be something you would like. From what I can tell from the photos they are not original anyway.

Top Bottom