Reverb Message Woes

YogiTom

Reaction score
I’m probably getting worked up over nothing, but I’m having a less than stellar buying experience on Reverb, and just wanted to complain to my fellow ukers...:p Rant below.

In thinking my UAS was behind me, I came across this recent thread and thought it was a fun idea, so I chimed in with my “wishlist”. Top of that list was a pre-WWII Martin S2 Soprano, which I figured would be well out of my price range for the condition I was looking for (near mint).

Two days later, I found one on Reverb that took my breath away. Near-mint, if photos and description was to be believed, AND <$1K. I spent several hours comparing photos to vintage Martin listings elsewhere and internet resources for trying to confirm the age. Feeling satisfied it was in fact pre-WWII, I pulled the trigger. That was yesterday.

This morning, I used the “Message the Seller” feature to ask if the seller could please wait to ship until Monday so the uke wouldn’t be stuck in a shipping network over the weekend. This evening at dinner, I got an email with my FedEx tracking info, showing the package as in the network and scheduled for Tuesday delivery.

I’m sure I’m future tripping, imagining all the problems that could result from this vintage piece of wood sitting in various trucks and warehouses in California summertime, but am I being unreasonable in my feeling that the seller either missed or ignored my message? At the least it feels discourteous, but I also don’t want to blame the seller too much here...I’m not sure how effective these “Message the Seller” messages really are.

Also, instead of two days of transit if it had been shipped Monday (SoCal going to NorCal), it is instead going to be five days because of the weekend.

:rant over:

I’m just hopeful the uke shows up without issue. It’s about all I can do at this point. :shaka:

Last edited:
It'll be fine. If it's been around since the 1930s, it's survived a few hot days already.

Here's hoping it's everything you expect it to be! :music:

I wonder if there is a time limit on Sales between money being paid and the item being shipped?

It'll be fine. If it's been around since the 1930s, it's survived a few hot days already.

Definitely! Delivery trucks are rolling 24/7. They know nothing about holidays. If sitting in a car or truck was harmful to a ukulele, none of us would have decent ukes.

As for messaging, if the seller doesn't go back and click on the site and the message section, he not going to see what't there. He had an item for sale, it sold, and he shipped it. Why would he go back the next day and look for messages? I know I wouldn't. When I have a uke to sell, it's in the box and waiting for the label. As soon as I get paid, I print a label and bring it to the PO.

Don't worry about it.

Here's hoping it's everything you expect it to be! :music:

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking. Just needed some more feedback than my own brain. :)

I wonder if there is a time limit on Sales between money being paid and the item being shipped?

I think Reverb says to contact them if you haven’t heard from the seller or the item hasn’t shipped within 3 days of purchase. So definitely no issue there; the seller shipped next day. The “issue” is I didn’t want them to ship just yet.

Definitely! Delivery trucks are rolling 24/7. They know nothing about holidays. If sitting in a car or truck was harmful to a ukulele, none of us would have decent ukes.

As for messaging, if the seller doesn't go back and click on the site and the message section, he not going to see what't there. He had an item for sale, it sold, and he shipped it. Why would he go back the next day and look for messages? I know I wouldn't. When I have a uke to sell, it's in the box and waiting for the label. As soon as I get paid, I print a label and bring it to the PO.

Don't worry about it.

Excellent, this is what I was hoping to hear. I didn’t want to believe it was anything other than an oversight due to Reverb’s message system. :)

I used to work in the fine wine retail world, and having an old bottle of wine sitting on a truck over the weekend, even if moving, could cause bottles to cook or freeze, depending on the time of year. I’ll just trust that solid wood is more forgiving than old grape juice. :p

I agree with the other guys, Tom, you should be fine! The only thing you might want to consider is to wait a couple of hours (after it arrives) before opening up the box, just to make sure the Martin has a chance to adjust to the temp in your residence.

I agree with the other guys, Tom, you should be fine! The only thing you might want to consider is to wait a couple of hours (after it arrives) before opening up the box, just to make sure the Martin has a chance to adjust to the temp in your residence.

I have received ukes that had a printed notice on the box saying just that. You can open to box in stages: open it, remove the packaged ukes, unwrap it, etc., waiting a while between steps.

Hopefully you'll be home when the "new" uke arrives. I had received a very expressive ukulele (which I later returned) through FedEx that the seller did not require a signature. FedEx left it on the porch on a day of the delivery. Fortunately a family member went to the house to bring it in. A yikes averted.

Oh, I can wait. Again, with shipping wine, the number one complaint we had to deal with—despite including very clear instructions that a wine should be allowed to rest after shipping, sometimes over a month for older bottles, to allow the wine to settle after being jostled in transit—was customers saying their 1976 Barolo had shown poorly at the dinner party they had, sometimes the same day the wine had arrived.

I believe a great man once said, “the waiting is the hardest part.” ;)

Hopefully you'll be home when the "new" uke arrives. I had received a very expressive ukulele (which I later returned) through FedEx that the seller did not require a signature. FedEx left it on the porch on a day of the delivery. Fortunately a family member went to the house to bring it in. A yikes averted.

Thankfully it is going to my work where someone is always here to sign. I just don’t trust our local FedEx driver further than I can toss him, and he has a good 50lbs on me. :)

There should be no real issue with the shipping since it is within CA. It should be sitting in a warehouse more than a truck spending two days in hundred plus temps. A UPS driver said they would meet halfway between NoCal and SoCal and switch trucks so that they could be home each night. I imagine FedEx would be similar or just get it up to NoCal in one shot.

Oh, I can wait. Again, with shipping wine, the number one complaint we had to deal with—despite including very clear instructions that a wine should be allowed to rest after shipping, sometimes over a month for older bottles, to allow the wine to settle after being jostled in transit—was customers saying their 1976 Barolo had shown poorly at the dinner party they had, sometimes the same day the wine had arrived.

I believe a great man once said, “the waiting is the hardest part.” ;)

As the saying goes "patience is a virtue." Hum I think that's something those of us with UAS/UOS tend to forget. :)

I’m probably getting worked up over nothing, but I’m having a less than stellar buying experience on Reverb, and just wanted to complain to my fellow ukers...:p Rant below.

In thinking my UAS was behind me, I came across this recent thread and thought it was a fun idea, so I chimed in with my “wishlist”. Top of that list was a pre-WWII Martin S2 Soprano, which I figured would be well out of my price range for the condition I was looking for (near mint).

Two days later, I found one on Reverb that took my breath away. Near-mint, if photos and description was to be believed, AND <$1K. I spent several hours comparing photos to vintage Martin listings elsewhere and internet resources for trying to confirm the age. Feeling satisfied it was in fact pre-WWII, I pulled the trigger. That was yesterday.

This morning, I used the “Message the Seller” feature to ask if the seller could please wait to ship until Monday so the uke wouldn’t be stuck in a shipping network over the weekend. This evening at dinner, I got an email with my FedEx tracking info, showing the package as in the network and scheduled for Tuesday delivery.

I’m sure I’m future tripping, imagining all the problems that could result from this vintage piece of wood sitting in various trucks and warehouses in California summertime, but am I being unreasonable in my feeling that the seller either missed or ignored my message? At the least it feels discourteous, but I also don’t want to blame the seller too much here...I’m not sure how effective these “Message the Seller” messages really are.

Also, instead of two days of transit if it had been shipped Monday (SoCal going to NorCal), it is instead going to be five days because of the weekend.

:rant over:

I’m just hopeful the uke shows up without issue. It’s about all I can do at this point. :shaka:

Tom,

I have purchased two instruments on Reverb. (Not including from Mim's. Don't remember if they were before or after she went on Reverb.) Both were successful purchases. I sent messages to the sellers. Both answered promptly before the sales. However, when I had followup questions after the sales, one answered promptly and the other answered weeks later. Long after the uke had been delivered. The slow responder said he hadn't checked his messages for a while, 'cause he didn't have any other instruments for sale. (Yet, all went well and the instrument was exactly as described: "Excellent, like-new!")

So, it depends on the seller and how diligent they are about checking their messages. Before and after the sale.

I think the Reverb seller doesn't get paid until the tracking number is entered, so that's also a factor...

Update: I received an email message from Reverb saying my request for a refund was approved pending the return of the instrument to the seller.

:confused:

I didn’t request a refund. So, looking closer, I see a note from the seller that says they now think the ukulele is more recent than originally thought and want to have it returned before I receive it so they can re-examine it to determine its age.

I didn’t want to provide details about the seller originally, but this sent up a lot of red flags for me...so I want to post some photos from the listing to see what those with more experienced eyes see.

1FA8D207-0875-45E2-A387-92AB01974026.jpg 0AED49F5-D8AC-4183-A71E-CA6B05BA04ED.jpg 4215634D-69F9-4DAF-9B6C-C81659C7C186.jpg A568DD4D-CCA3-4CD8-AD7C-4E5E4554865C.jpg D5E6EC69-7949-49A7-860D-5D9E2A533306.jpg

Now, I know we don’t have any photos inside the soundhole to see whether it is stamped with “Made in the USA”, but to me the date originally posted seemed to line up with the other things I could see: headstock decal with no backstamp; T-frets, putting it more around 1935-1940; age appropriate case (to my eyes); fret markers appear in the expected positions.

The only things I couldn’t tell for sure were whether the tuning machines and bridge might indicate a different era.

Obviously if this is not really from 1935-1940 era, I wouldn’t be interested. But to me, it almost feels like the seller realized they had undervalued the original listing and want the uke back.

To be clear, the seller has already put a return request on the package, prior to reaching out to me to see what I wanted.

If the seller is truly doing the right thing, and wants to make sure I’m still interested should it turn out to be newer, great. But my mind tends to think the worst immediately (if that wasn’t clear from this thread!) hence why I wanted to ask the community for some unofficial help in narrowing in on the uke’s true age.

Last edited:
I think they removed the original listing, as the link doesn't bring up that listing at all. Since you can return it after inspecting it yourself, you really want to get your hands on that package. You can contact Fedex with your tracking number to verify delivery date, or ask for it to be held for you or diverted to work - basically anything to ensure the delivery instructions are updated to delivery to you.

Update: I received an email message from Reverb saying my request for a refund was approved pending the return of the instrument to the seller.

:confused:

I didn’t request a refund. So, looking closer, I see a note from the seller that says they now think the ukulele is more recent than originally thought and want to have it returned before I receive it so they can re-examine it to determine its age.

Obviously if this is not really from 1935-1940 era, I wouldn’t be interested. But to me, it almost feels like the seller realized they had undervalued the original listing and want the uke back.

To be clear, I am waiting on FedEx to deliver tomorrow, but I suspect the seller has already put a return request on the package.

Tom, I think that you are letting your paranoia get the better of you. All of that could happen, but you have nothing more than feelings and suspicions right now. My suggestion, sit back, take a breath and let it all play out tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

I think they removed the original listing, as the link doesn't bring up that listing at all. Since you can return it after inspecting it yourself, you really want to get your hands on that package. You can contact Fedex with your tracking number to verify delivery date, or ask for it to be held for you or diverted to work - basically anything to ensure the delivery instructions are updated to delivery to you.

Hmm...I think it may have worked for me because I was logged into my Reverb account. I’ll try to download and upload the photos here.

And I called FedEx immediately after writing this, but the seller had already triggered a reroute back to them. No rights as the recipient, apparently.

Tom, I think that you are letting your paranoia get the better of you. All of that could happen, but you have nothing more than feelings and suspicions right now. My suggestion, sit back, take a breath and let it all play out tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Thanks. I need these more rational opinions and takes, because I know my mind doesn’t always give folks the benefit of the doubt or think about things clearly.

And sorry, to be clear, the package is already going back to the seller. FedEx confirmed they made the request earlier today and told me they were sorry that was all they could do.

Top Bottom