In Praise of the Banjolele

Thanks for the article. I enjoyed the videos, especially Jeff Lynne playing banjolele. I personally don't get all the banjo hatin’. I like the banjo (or banjolele) and enjoy the flavor it adds to our jam. Occasionally, a player can be a little loud and drown out quiet ukers but generally they are a nice touch.

The banjouke (as I Calls it) is mandatory for most of our Irish folk music. We use it for several other songs, too. I don't play it very well, no clawhammer or fancy rolls yet, but the jangly tone blends in nicely with a uke and a bass. I've already gotten one of my friends playing it too. She really enjoys it, as do I!

Anybody know a good book or resource about the care & feeding of a banjolele? I just bought my first one and I'm having a hard time keeping the head taut around the bridge. As a result, the C string starts to buzz when the head gets too slack. No idea if I'm approaching this correctly or not.

I really like this e-book by Mike Warren: "Banjo Ukulele Techniques". He has a ton of very clear videos showing examples of the technique he is discussing. They are excellent. Sometimes an strumming example is shot from more than one angle to make sure it is clearly depicted. I wish all instructional videos were as clear as these are.

It isn't cheap at $35 USD. But, I think it's worth every penny.

https://www.facebook.com/mwarren64
If you don't do Facebook, he can be contacted at: banjoukuleletechniques@gmail.com

Kenn
Do a quick YouTube search and you'll find a ton of info on various banjo uke adjustments

Thanks for posting this. I'm fascinated with the banjolele, and it's nice to read some history.

This is one more opportunity to feed the UAS beast. A bunch of folks at my uke club have these and use them as a primary. My interest is piqued since it could provide some variety ... especially with country and folk songs.

I presume that as the tuning is the same, I could play a bajolele exactly as I play a ukulele?

I quite fancy having a go, although I don't think that I would get the sound I associate with the instrument!

I presume that as the tuning is the same, I could play a bajolele exactly as I play a ukulele?

I quite fancy having a go, although I don't think that I would get the sound I associate with the instrument!

Tuning and playing are the same. As for the sound, that comes from the instrument, not from you. Play it like a uke, and it will sound like a banjo - good deal. At least one person always has one at our weekly sessions.

Top Bottom