Tale of Travis Harrelson and two of his Laughlin ukuleles.

Jddewitt81

Reaction score
I recently picked up two Laughlin soprano ukuleles. I have admired Tim Laughlin’s work for a while now but until recently I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one. My friend Colin Barnes was selling a Koa soprano a while back but sadly it was out of my price range. I have often thought about that ukulele and wished I had bought it at the time it was for sale but over time I kind of wrote it off and focused on ones I could actually acquire and afford!

Life has been treating me pretty well and I haven’t been buying as much as I once did. Other than my new Dave Talsma soprano I hadn’t really made many big purchases.

Recently I came across a Laughlin style 2 on eBay and decided to put in an offer on it. My offer was accepted and it was soon in my possession. I have to admit upon first strum I wasn’t overly impressed but a quick string change solved that problem!

It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with the style 2 and I quickly emailed Tim Laughlin to find out more information about it. Tim replied back telling me when it was made and that it was previously owned by the late ukulele player and collector Travis Harrelson. A quick search of Travis and you may find videos of Eddie Montana and him on YouTube. They put a CD out together. I was really enjoying the stories I had read about Travis and have admired Eddie as a musician. I have to say that I never knew Travis but felt a bit closer to him through my searches and really grew to admire him and his playing. I thought “Wow I hit the jackpot, this seller must not know what they have!” I quickly bought Eddie and Travis’ CD as well.

Not long after this I saw the same seller I bought my Laughlin from list another Laughlin! This time it was a concert. Sadly I didn’t buy this one but my friend Tracie Anderson decided to buy it for herself! We both had a hunch that it was probably also from Travis’ estate. She emailed Tim Laughlin once hers arrived and it in fact was.

I messaged the seller asking if they had any more Laughlin’s and they said they were going to list a few more. I wound up picking up another soprano that Tim confirmed to me was actually Koa instead of mahogany as it was listed. This one was built custom for Travis and has “Travistone” inlayed on the headstock. It is a work of art and Travis’ strum marks are apparent that he played it a time or two!

After this purchase I found out that the seller was actually Eddie Montana himself and that he is selling them to help support Travis’ wife. Eddie still has two more Laughlin’s on eBay and a Martin that was owned by Travis. Someone should really consider buying them before I do!!

If anyone remembers Travis I would love to hear any stores you are willing to share. He sounds like he was one heck of a man! I will certainly cherish these for years to come!

- Jon

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the “Travistone” inlay.

7800DFC6-BEA6-442A-AA91-F71104328DD4.jpg

Here is a picture of both Laughlin’s with my lovely Dave Talsma soprano.

7F0F26FF-11AF-4B3A-8AF7-D316D1B8BE78.jpg

Lovely ukuleles, and an interesting back story.
Enjoy those ukes!

I don't have the photography skills that Jon has, but will take the opportunity for bragging rights on my Laughlin 3K concert.

The concert is in great shape for being 20 years old (1999!). Knowing Tim Laughlin 's reputation as a luthier, I used the money I had been saving for a Collings to buy it.
Glad I took the leap: Tim Laughlin told me they are rare: he only made about 50 concerts during all his decades of building.
It has wonderful tone and volume and the fast, slender neck is dreamy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nPRJkqJ4tb3tRS6u7

When held just right to the light, this uke has light strum marks - a lot of them - on BOTH side of the fretboard (they don't show up in photos).
Here's what Tim said about Travis Harrelson, who some say was one of the best ukulele players in the world:

"Travis was a warm and generous guy and a wonderful player. I sat mesmerized at his kitchen table many times as he played Hawaiian tunes, jazz tunes, vaudeville stuff. He could play anything really.
He would love it that someone was again playing one of his ukes. The strum marks are probably from Travis. He hit the face a lot with his right hand. His favorite little Martin 3m was worn through in places a lot like Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger"."

I found a photo of that same uke in a museum:
https://images.app.goo.gl/1BQx2wX8XYdFjG279

It's all pretty thrilling news for a uke lover.
I will cherish those strum marks!

Last edited:
I had the honor of playing many times with Travis. Not only was he a great player, but a fine gentleman too.
Travis loved his Martin soprano. He wore a hole in the top from strumming. His rendition of Goofus is one of his best.
He taught me a great run for Sweet Georgia Brown. We had a nice little group on Tuesday afternoons, unfortunately several of the group have passed away. I miss my friends, but have memories and their music to remember.

What great stories and great finds. Jon and Tracie, you got ukes with soul, and they went to just the right people who will appreciate them and Travis.

The look of that Martin really reminds you that ukuleles are made to be played regardless of what they are!! However; from my understanding it sounds like Travis really had his pick of various ukuleles having owned quite a few! I watched a video on YouTube that may have been the group you mention. I believe it was mentioned that it was on Tuesdays for those that we’re unable to attend another group. You may have already seen it or been present when the video was made. Anyhow; I found it entertaining to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO0yRyI_8hg&app=desktop

Edit:
I take it back; this club meets/met on Wednesday’s.

Last edited:
Great stories. It's wonderful that the new owners are people who appreciate the backgrounds of these great instruments.

I recently picked up two Laughlin soprano ukuleles. I have admired Tim Laughlin’s work for a while now but until recently I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one. My friend Colin Barnes was selling a Koa soprano a while back but sadly it was out of my price range. I have often thought about that ukulele and wished I had bought it at the time it was for sale but over time I kind of wrote it off and focused on ones I could actually acquire and afford!

Life has been treating me pretty well and I haven’t been buying as much as I once did. Other than my new Dave Talsma soprano I hadn’t really made many big purchases.

Recently I came across a Laughlin style 2 on eBay and decided to put in an offer on it. My offer was accepted and it was soon in my possession. I have to admit upon first strum I wasn’t overly impressed but a quick string change solved that problem!

It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with the style 2 and I quickly emailed Tim Laughlin to find out more information about it. Tim replied back telling me when it was made and that it was previously owned by the late ukulele player and collector Travis Harrelson. A quick search of Travis and you may find videos of Eddie Montana and him on YouTube. They put a CD out together. I was really enjoying the stories I had read about Travis and have admired Eddie as a musician. I have to say that I never knew Travis but felt a bit closer to him through my searches and really grew to admire him and his playing. I thought “Wow I hit the jackpot, this seller must not know what they have!” I quickly bought Eddie and Travis’ CD as well.

Not long after this I saw the same seller I bought my Laughlin from list another Laughlin! This time it was a concert. Sadly I didn’t buy this one but my friend Tracie Anderson decided to buy it for herself! We both had a hunch that it was probably also from Travis’ estate. She emailed Tim Laughlin once hers arrived and it in fact was.

I messaged the seller asking if they had any more Laughlin’s and they said they were going to list a few more. I wound up picking up another soprano that Tim confirmed to me was actually Koa instead of mahogany as it was listed. This one was built custom for Travis and has “Travistone” inlayed on the headstock. It is a work of art and Travis’ strum marks are apparent that he played it a time or two!

After this purchase I found out that the seller was actually Eddie Montana himself and that he is selling them to help support Travis’ wife. Eddie still has two more Laughlin’s on eBay and a Martin that was owned by Travis. Someone should really consider buying them before I do!!

If anyone remembers Travis I would love to hear any stores you are willing to share. He sounds like he was one heck of a man! I will certainly cherish these for years to come!

- Jon
Travis is (was??) my great Uncle. I can tell you some stories if you care to hear. It is better than you would imagine! One of the most creatively hilarious humans I have ever met. I only wish I could have known him better. He lived in California but his sister (my grandma) moved to Arizona, and that's where we stayed.

- Jon
Btw I want one of those if you can send me in the right direction. His sister (my grandma) is one of two last surviving siblings out of 5. She is a fighter too, but if i could find out how to get my hands on one... she would lose it!!! They grew up in california without much. Their dad was in the navy and their mother was a riveter. Travis eventually joined the navy and indulged in photography, practical jokes and strumming. I even have a photo of him in his sailor suit with like 3 or 4 cameras around his neck.

Top Bottom