What glue for stew mac kit...

MartinMarvin

Reaction score
My kit has arrived but I didn’t order glue.
Any recommendations...?
My local h/w store has loads.. including a range of Gorilla glues, most of which look capable..!
Thanks in advance... this is my first build :D

Titebond original is the standard , which most instrument builders seem to use.

(Uh oh, now we're talkin' glue)... I second the Titebond Original with the red cap. It is an aliphatic resin based glue that has a good open time and holds like the hammers of hell. Down sides are difficulty reversing the bond and the hated yellow color... Each glue type has its followers and the hot hide glue aficionados will probably chime in. Then there are the fish glue followers. Every glue has its pluses and minuses so you picks your poison. I think the one glue that everybody can agree on as a bad choice would be epoxy.

The glue you refer to is a polyurethane type glue. I have no experience using it so can't say whether it is good or bad.

Polyurethane glue (trade names include Gorilla Glue and Excel) is becoming increasingly popular. They bond to textile fibers, metals, plastics, glass, sand, ceramics, and rubber, in addition to wood. Polyurethane wood adhesives are normally prepolymers terminated with isocyanate groups. When exposed to moisture, isocyanates react with water and thus cure the adhesives. Therefore, one component polyurethane adhesives are also named as moisture-cure polyurethanes. In addition, interactions between polyurethanes and wood polymers can significantly influence bond performance.[9] However, in water-saturating tests, polyurethane bonds "were much less durable than the resorcinol bonds on both [Douglas-fir and yellow birch].

Gorilla also makes an aliphatic resin which is very good. However, I still use Titebond red cap on ukuleles. At some stage (when I have nothing better to do) I will do a comparison.
Miguel

lately I've preferred the LMI glue verses Titebond original.

I've never used the LMI glue you refer to so I went to their site to check it out. I found what they call "lmi yellow glue". Nowhere do they actually say what this stuff is but I'm assuming it is an aliphatic resin glue. Interestingly they add a fluorescent dye to the glue so that residual glue will show up under UV light. They claim it is better than other aliphatic resin glues on the market, but they don't say why it would be better.

Sequoia I like it because it dries harder. I'm not saying its better then regular titebond. I was really partial to the old formula, there supplier stopped that a few years ago. A lot of people swear by it. I use both original titebond and the LMI glue but prefer the LMI glue. as it def dries harder and the color is a bit better then Titbond for my tastes as its less creamy and a tad more white when it dries.

Top Bottom