Peghed questions??

Joel makes it look easy : https://vimeo.com/123455918.

Others on this board have said it’s pretty doable if you follow this video and take it slow

It looks simple, A reamer can be tricky. It is easy to ream off-center, and then the pegs look crooked. It you go the slightest bit too deep, the threads show on the top. You can do it yourself if you take it "SLOW'. Good luck, I love those tuners.

The Waverly friction tuners are nice, but they are not the easiest ones to install, and are even harder to retrofit. The correct hole size for the shaft is 3/16” and both the front and back of the peg head need to be countersunk at 60 degrees for the bushings to fit properly. In a retrofit situation, where the hole size is more like 5/16”, you need to fill the hole with a properly sized dowel, redrill to 3/16” and countersink both sides.
Brad

I just installed a set of Waverly Tuners on a 1920s 2M. they are a copy of the original Grover 76. worked fine but didn't have to ream any of the holes. I've heard it is tricky as stated.
I'm a fan of Pegheads give them a second go round.

Last edited:
I just installed a set of Waverly Tuners on a 1920s 2M. they are a copy of the original Grover 76. worked fine but didn't have to ream any of the holes. I've heard it is tricky as stated.
I'm a fan of Pegheads give them a second go round.

What are on it are very finiky and seem to be original. So I want to put some friction tuners that are drop in.

Pegheads is a brand of planetary tuner. Does the uke have the peghead brand tuners that you want to replace, or does it have the Kamaka supplied friction tuners which you want to replace?

It seems to be the original friction tuners. I want to replace with updated friction tuners I can just install with minimal work

Ok got my 70s Kamaka soprano today. The pegheads on the uke are finiky so I want to replace them. I thought about gotoh planatary tuners but don't want to drill. So will these work or is there a way to tell. Thanks in advance.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...g_Machines/Waverly_Ukulele_Friction_Pegs.html

Those are Waverly friction tuners. PegHeds require threads to be cut into the holes, so that would be an issue. You should be able to find the diameter of the PegHeds and those Waverly tuners and see how they compare. Unless the PegHeds are larger, the Waverleys should work.

A luthier would be able to do that job. Just be sure to tell him that the PegHeds unscrew. You should be able to sell them here if they are in good condition.

Top Bottom