And now for something completely different....

jferrin

Reaction score
Thought you might enjoy my second Uke. The first was a cheap Hilo that has been played very little in the past 10 years. In the 10 days since I picked this up out of a dumpster, I haven't been able to put it down. The old calfskin was torn but had writing on it with dates from the 1920's. The new head was mounted and designed by me. It's got Aquila strings, some new polish and warm tone for a banjo-uke.

Enjoy?

Attachments

• Photo-0061.jpg
    Photo-0061.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Photo-0064.jpg
    Photo-0064.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Photo-0066.jpg
    Photo-0066.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Photo-0063.jpg
    Photo-0063.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 34
you got that out of a dumpster:eek:??!..... man i really need to start dumpster diving!

but seriously that must be the best dumpster find ever!!

banjo ukes are pretty neat and look like a lot of fun!!

i really like the skin that you put on it!

nice!

That looks great. What did you use to paint the skin? Love to hear how it sounds.

Wish I could find something cool like that in the dumpster. Maybe I should linger longer. I am usually anxious to get away.

–Lori

Way COOL!!! Flying Ferrin Brothers? Sounds like a circus act. I've never seen one quite like this. How does it sound? A sound clip would be nice. Congrats on the find! :music:

Last edited:
I once found a hobo sleeping in a dumpster but I'd a rather find a Banjolele.

I don't usually make a habit out of dumpster diving. I saw this one sitting there and had to convince myself to reach in and grab it.

The Fearless Flying Ferrin Brothers are my two kids, one of whom can be seen making faces in the last image I posted. I was, in fact, going for an old-timey circus vibe.

This banjo head I did with prismacolors (fancy colored pencils) and a couple of coats of matte acrylic rattle-can sealant.

Here's a tenor banjo I did a few weeks ago. This one was done with acrylic paints. The paint has a funny way of mellowing out the sound. It's loud, but not twangy. I've tuned it like a baritone Uke and I think my wife is going to steal it from me.

banjo3.jpg

These are beautiful! I'd never thought of prismacolours for something like this, but it seems like an excellent idea... looks like you get great control and it sounds like they would have a less potentially harsh effect than some paint. I hope you post pictures of any more you make. I find this whole painting-ukuleles thing absolutely fascinating!

Wow!!! Thats just awesome!

That looks really cool, I like the old timey circus vibe.

Cool find, and the artwork is even more awesome. Did you use stencils, or freehand the whole thing? :eek:

Perhaps I should try dumpster-diving behind Uke Fest this weekend. ;) Hopefully someone is sick of their old KoAloha. I'd be happy to reclaim it.

Top Bottom