iRig Acoustic?

cogfasser

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the iRig Acoustic amp mic? I am looking for an non invasive mic as a pickup that I can attach and plug into rehearsal studio amplifiers. Something that will work with either a soprano and tenor ukes. I don’t need anything super professional, but something where I can use once a month in an amateur band setting with friends.

I have it and I think it does a good job of capturing a natural sound. I've used it on a number of recordings and the audio usually doesn't need much treatment.

But I have to say I'd be a little nervous relying on it in a live setting. The cord is just awfully small and overall doesn't seem like it would hold up. But maybe I'm wrong as I haven't tried it. There is also a "stage" model that I haven't tried. I assume it's a little more ruggedized.

Last edited:
I’ve used a product called Plasti Dip to cover the handle of a tool with rubber for better gripping. I’ve also used it by applying it with a brush. It’s thick enough that, with a bit of care, it won’t run into where you don’t want it. Cost less than seven dollars. Applying it at the base of the pick up to an inch or two down the wire could offer stress relief where wire connects to pickup.

Dries to a solid rubber in minutes.

Seems widely available.

I use the IRig Acoustic Stage with our college music club when we perform. I like it because I can clip it to my 2" strap and keep it out of the way, but can easily access the settings, especially the "Cancel Feedback" button.

I usually play my OXK soprano or my Mainland tenor. I use the "Warm & Nylon" settings for the best sound.

We have played in nursing homes community rooms with regular ceiling tiles, the college commons which has an open 2 story ceiling, and outdoors. Sounds great in all settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20190706_224716.jpg
    IMG_20190706_224716.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20190706_224950.jpg
    IMG_20190706_224950.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190706_225002.jpg
    IMG_20190706_225002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190706_225020.jpg
    IMG_20190706_225020.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I use one, and have played using it both in pubs and on stage (with proper sound guy).

Works really well, sound guy says it's easier to work than an instrument mic on a stand and produces a good, natural sound.

In a pub with monitors right at my feet I got a little feedback, easily controlled by moving slightly.

The one downside is that it picks up hand/finger impact with sound board really well, but not so much as to be distracting.

The mic part clips to the sound hole and is sized for guitar top thickness. I use a scrap of rubber (card would work too) when clipping it to a uke.

Experiment with sound hole placement to reduce hand noise.

I have one. I've not used it in public, just at home. I haven't used it very much lately, since I now have two ukes with pick-ups. I have experimented with using just the control unit (without the mic) as a pre-amp of sorts with my pick-ups. It works fine in that manner to shape the sound a little.

I'll second the comments above by ProfChris ......the sound hole mic does pick up hand noise on the top of the uke, and fitting the mic can take some trial & error. I used poster putty to fine tune the fit.

I love this and have performed with it in various settings for about a year. Firstly with an acoustic-only uke, then now I have a Mainland with pickup, I still use it alongside the builtin pickup.

It's only failed me once, when I dropped it just before a gig and the battery pins got squashed. Easily fixed. The only other setting where it's been problematic is gigs where they need it really loud - pushed up to the max, it picks up all sorts of other noise as well. But apart from those occasions, it's been perfect.

Top Bottom