Changing strings with different diameters

RLM3121

Reaction score
I have a question about changing strings. When a luthier cuts the nut and installs a set of strings the nut is cut for that set of strings. I see a lot of folks try out different strings. Do you ever run into problems with the strings being either to big or small for the nut slot? Does that ever become a problem?

I have a Kiwaya that I need to change the strings. I currently has Worth browns which came on it. I like them, but thought I might like to try something else to see what they would be like. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can run into problems especially if the new strings are significantly thicker than the old ones. For example if you were trying to go from high G to unwound low G. If you're trying other fluorocarbon strings you aren't likely to have a problem. If you're going to fatter strings like nylon or Aquila you might have a problem, but if they are in the same tuning, you'll probably still be ok. There's no way to know for sure without trying them.

Also note that if you try a set that turns out to be too fat to fit down in the slots, you can still play them temporarily with the strings on top of the slot. They will be harder to play and the intonation will be off, but at least you can see if you like the feel and sound of those strings enough to have the nut tweaked to really fit.

As Jim said, the only time I have had an issue is when I tried an unwound low G (Living Waters, but would probably be true of many brands). It’s just too fat to be in the high g nut slot. You can widen the slot, but I wasn’t sure I wanted to keep low g. I decided on trying a Fremont soloist (wound low g). That was probably 5 years ago, and I still use them today.

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about going from the Worth brown to a nylon. I will proceed with some caution.

Modifying or even replacing a nut is no big deal. Find the strings that you like and then bring your instrument to a tech for a new set up if need be. I have settled on a favorite custom string set by now. For my last two custom builds I sent these to the Luthier so they could set up the Uke with the exact strings I knew that I would use.

I’d rather the strings were too fat than the nut slot too wide.

I have when whim has me put a low G on some or when re-stringing for a lefty. I have a set of nice nut files, so it was no trouble to widen the slot. You just have to make sure not to go too deep and to keep a good angle. I would not play with the strings sitting barely or on top of the slot. A student of mine did this when the local music shop restrung his uke for left handed playing and didn't file the slots. The slot ended up pinching the E string and destroying it's ability to tune correctly. It also wore a groove in the string. Recently, I restrung my resonator with GHS re-entrant Bari-tenors. Two of the slots ended up being too narrow. I admit I was a bit nervous to take a file to the Mya Moe! Especially the biscuit bridge. But it turned out fine and I'm quite glad I did. But, as others have said, a shop could file it pretty quickly with minimal cost.

Top Bottom