Glen Rose stringing method?

prb035

Reaction score
Glen Rose has quite a unique method for tuning for Low G :D Have others here tried this method?

Huh. I'm really surprised that works in general since it means your normal C string is 5 semitones lower than normal, normal E string is 4 lower, G string is 3 lower, and A string is the same. String designers go to some considerable effort to balance the tension and feel across the strings and this method completely wrecks that. But if it works for him, so be it

I agree with Jim.

The strings will have mixed tensions.

Buy a low g set they are readily available that is what I do that way they have the same tension.

I tried it once when I accidentally bought a high g set of strings for my tenor. The string tensions felt all wrong and I swapped them out ASAP.

Glen Rose has plenty of good instructional videos and books - I have one book and plan on purchasing more - but I would recommend against this specific advise.

I bought his Tenor Jazz books a few years ago. I liked them so bought his baritone jazz books a little later. I was disappointed he used the same chord shapes but just changed the key to fit the bari. So if playing his Autumn Leaves in the tenor book, it was exactly the same chord shapes but in a different key. Couldn't play bari with a tenor player because all he did was change keys. I kind of lost a bit of respect for him doing it that way. If the tenor book was in a certain key, I would expect the baritone book would be in the same key with corresponding chord shapes that fit. On the whole, I did like his method though.

I've whittled down the stringsets I like for each instrument. Never heard of the method he uses for low G. Interesting for when the old eyes can't tell the difference.

Last edited:
A couple comments in defense of Glen Rose who is a great teacher for both ukulele and piano.

1. At the time he made his video about using a tenor set on a baritone for GCEA there weren’t many or perhaps any low G baritone sets available. Now there are. Get a good set, if you want GCEA on a baritone and relax. Glen was just using a baritone because he likes the size and the sound but he wanted to reach the audience that plays GCEA. Also, there are just those who prefer a baritone with GCEA tuning, just as there are those who prefer different tunings on tenors or concerts or sopranos.

2. Mr. Madsen should have known better before buying Glen’s baritone books. Yes, they are basically the same with different chord names. Glen is teaching the shapes that make the jazz chords and how one shape leads to another in the ii-V-I progressions so essential to jazz. Glen gives you these shapes in all keys using two sets of shapes for both major and minor keys. He also shows how to alter these chords. He uses these changes in jazz song charts. Without even knowing the names of the chords you can play the songs following his charts. He teaches the shapes before the names. The charts sound good using a low tenor or baritone tuning. Mr. Madsen should have understood that the chord shapes would be the same but that the keys would change because of the difference in tunings. That’s music theory. If Madsen cared to play something in C on a tenor the chords would be in different locations from playing in C on a baritone. Glen wasn’t trying to trick anyone. He was just trying to reach the baritone market, people who don’t play tenor tuning.

Sometimes I play Glen’s charts with my tenor, sometimes with my baritone. I only bought the tenor set of his books. I understood the essence of the shapes.

Tenor chord shape: Same baritone chord shape:

C. G

D. A

E. B

F. C

Last edited:
You are one crazy dude Kimo. How is anyone to know Glen would be changing the keys; is it mentioned anywhere in his ads, website or books?

I have no issue with Glens teaching methods or style. I questioned how appropriate it was to issue both books in the exact same way yet changing the the keys of both. How difficult would it be to have the books in the same key with the diagrams according to the instrument. In the least he could have mentioned the songs were in different keys. I have been meaning to contact him about it and certainly will now.

I understand chord changes and transposing. What I don't understand is spending money for books that are exactly the same except in different keys without any mention of it in his ads. I certainly didn't suggest he was trying to trick anyone. I have the fullest respect for him as a musician. I read his books, certainly don't need a lecture. As for the "Should have knowns" you can stick it.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread, back to his stringing method.

Last edited:
Exactly. If I play a song from the Daily Ukulele with my baritone and play the notes and chord diagrams exactly as they’re written for tenor, the song will sound fine, just in a lower key.

Mr. Madsen, I don’t mean to offend you, rather just enlighten you. People shouldn’t buy both books. One or the other. Which chord names do you wish to know, the tenor or the baritone? If you know the tenor names and wish to learn the baritone names, profit from both books but you could do it in your head, if you know how far baritone tuning is dropped from tenor tuning. You need to study music theory. Madsen, you just don’t understand it.

I've been playing 60 years steady. I can play with any group in any type of music in any key. You're right I don't know much about music theory. Everything I've learned was thru playing with groups. No one in the Beatles can read music either but play pretty good.I bought the tenor book and gave to a newbie and bought the bari book to play along with him. Was just surprised the book wasn't transposed to fit his tenor book. I don't think that was outrageous expectation. I love the guys who can do the music theory but can't play a lick cause they have no soul, just technique theory. We can leave it at that. I think you play very well but don't disparage those of us who can play anything by ear either.

Handshake and a thumb's up. Again sorry to hijack the thread.

Hmm... dubious cheat for low-G, and books written in different keys so that the same chord diagrams can be used for both? Color me underwhelmed :D

Exactly. If I play a song from the Daily Ukulele with my baritone and play the notes and chord diagrams exactly as they’re written for tenor, the song will sound fine, just in a lower key.

Mr. Madsen, I don’t mean to offend you, rather just enlighten you. People shouldn’t buy both books. One or the other. Which chord names do you wish to know, the tenor or the baritone? If you know the tenor names and wish to learn the baritone names, profit from both books but you could do it in your head, if you know how far baritone tuning is dropped from tenor tuning. You need to study music theory. Madsen, you just don’t understand it.

I've been playing 60 years steady. I can play with any group in any type of music in any key. You're right I don't know much about music theory. Everything I've learned was thru playing with groups. No one in the Beatles can read music either but play pretty good.I bought the tenor book and gave to a newbie and bought the bari book to play along with him. Was just surprised the book wasn't transposed to fit his tenor book. I don't think that was outrageous expectation. I love the guys who can do the music theory but can't play a lick cause they have no soul, just technique theory. We can leave it at that. I think you play very well but don't disparage those of us who can play anything by ear either.

Handshake and a thumb's up. Again sorry to hijack the thread.

I agree. If you buy the baritone book, you should be able to play with someone who bought the tenor book without transposing.

If I was out of low g strings I guess I might try the stringing method. No, I probably wouldn't. Anyway, who am I kidding, I'm not likely to be out of low g strings anytime before the zombie apocalypse.

Top Bottom