Russel Crosby Archtop?

ShortCut

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I saw a guy on YouTube with an interesting uke. Upon reading the description, I found out it was a "Crosby custom uke."Here are some pictures

http://www.geocities.com/nigeldeon/uke/crosbyuke.html

So my question is, has anyone ever heard of this guy? Anything at all? I'd really like on like that, but with no info about the guy, I'd find it kind of sketchy... here is his website, but it says nothing about ukulele's.

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/russel.crosby/

Any help?

Wow what a stunning uke! My guess would be that this was just a one time thing made for a friend. I sounds like he made this one just to dabble around with making ukes because his forte is building guitars.

Stunning - the pick guard looks a bit heavy, but well made. Odd scale length:
It has a scale length of 18 inches which places it between a tenor and a baritone and it's tuned in between too (E,A,C#,F#), so I'm calling it a "baritenor."
I'd want a traditional scale length, myself.

I saw (and heard) this very same uke on a video here on UU....just recently! The owner played it in an entry to a recent contest....actually, he played it in several entries. I'm not certain, but I think it may have been the Reggae contest.

I saw it and was blown away! Until now I didn't know what it was. An idea what that bad boy cost?

I saw (and heard) this very same uke on a video here on UU....just recently! The owner played it in an entry to a recent contest....actually, he played it in several entries. I'm not certain, but I think it may have been the Reggae contest.

I saw it and was blown away! Until now I didn't know what it was. An idea what that bad boy cost?

Not sure how much it cost.. But I want one :p.

Hey everyone. I was away for a few days and nearly missed this thread. I'll answer all your questions.

Russel Crosby is from East Jordan, Nova Scotia. His guitars are pretty famous around these parts. That ukulele however, is the only one (to my knowledge) that he's ever built and it was a custom order. He has also made a few mandolins which aren't on his webpage.

Mailman, regarding the contests, it could have been the reggae contest, but was most likely Baron's Metal contest. And regarding cost, I'll just say it was between $1000 and $2000.

Check out my YouTube channel (link in sig)

Cheers,
-RJ

the pick guard looks a bit heavy, but well made. Odd scale length. I'd want a traditional scale length, myself.

The pick guard is quite thick, but it's floating. It doesn't contact the top at all so it doesn't impede the sound.

I wanted a tenor scale length, but it came out a little larger. If you're used to tenor, you probably won't notice much of a difference.

Top Bottom