How are string beads tied to the end of the string?

mikelz777

Reaction score
How are string beads tied to the end of a string? Are they tied in such a way that they become part of the knot or do they float freely on the string and sit on top of the knot acting as a buffer between the knot and the body of the ukulele? If they become part of the knot, what method do you use to tie the bead to the string?

I've always seen them as part of the knot. Just run the string through the hole and snug the knot down on the bead. Repeat once or twice so the knot "ain't goin anywhere".

How are string beads tied to the end of a string? Are they tied in such a way that they become part of the knot or do they float freely on the string and sit on top of the knot acting as a buffer between the knot and the body of the ukulele? If they become part of the knot, what method do you use to tie the bead to the string?

I use both methods depending on the gauge of the string and the size of the hole in the bead. With heavy strings, I usually just tie a stopper knot and slip the bead onto the string. Then I melt a “mushroom cap” on the tag end of the string close to the knot so it’s neat and the knot will be more secure.

With lighter gauge strings, I’ll tie the same stopper knot, slip the bead on, and then reeve the string back through the bead by poking it back through the bead at the knot end and pulling it through, snugging it up tight. With really thin strings, or if the bead hole is big enough, I’ll poke it back through again so the string passes three times through the bead.

Last edited:
I just tie a stopper knot(a good description from Swamp Yankee) …………………….never had a problem.

I make them part of the knot, never had a problem.

Top Bottom