Advice For Selling Sonny D Super Concert (Alaskan Sitka Spruce, Macassar Ebony)

AnalogJ

Reaction score
I want to sell a Sonny D Super Concert I have had for about 10 years or so. I'm still not sure how to price it. I showed it to someone at a shop in Kaua'i and he suggested I set the asking price at $1100. I don't know if that's high or not. I see some Sonny D's selling for less in the used marketplace.

It's an Ohta-san model, and it has Alaskan Sitka Spruce for the soundboard, and striped Maccasar Ebony for the sides and back. Its tone is gorgeous and bell-like. Rich and sonorous. But it's not particularly loud nor sprightly. As someone is who is more of a strummer (at the moment), I'd like something that is more responsive, so that's why I'm selling it.

And while the tone and beauty is there, it's not the most slickly finished. There are a couple of areas that don't look as well finished, but I have been told that Sonny Dahlia's work often shows a bit of roughness around the edges, so to speak, while still sounding and playing great.

I have attached a few pictures. But I'd like a better sense of what I might expect to sell this for (and what I should ask for it). I also thought about contacting the Sonny D Facebook page. Any thoughts here?

Mahalo,

J

Attachments

• P1110905.jpg
    P1110905.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 57
  • P1110919.jpg
    P1110919.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Sonny D Headstock.jpg
    Sonny D Headstock.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 42
  • P1110928.jpg
    P1110928.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 68
  • P1110924.jpg
    P1110924.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 34
I think you should look to the Sonny D FB page first and get a feel for what his instruments are going for.

I suspect, that the brand is not well known. Since other models have been for sale here and other places and have been slow to move. But I may be projecting my lack of knowledge onto this.

I also think that butt seam is going to cause some reticence in prospective buyers. Again, my reaction. It looks very nice otherwise.

FWIW. Best of luck.

Top Bottom