NUD - Kevin Mason Torrefied Spruce / Ziricote 19.5 Baritone

Ukulele Eddie

Reaction score
I actually received this uke at the end of April, so I've been delayed in doing my NUD post. I will try to add a sound sample in the next day or two.

At UGH 2017, I had the pleasure of playing two of Kevin Mason's baritone ukes and they really impressed me. They were very well executed and were particularly favorable to me on playability. I knew then and there it was only a matter of time before I commissioned one. And so I did in very late 2018.

We discussed a few different wood options and he set up looking for some good sets. I fully expected it would take awhile, but that very evening he found a remarkable set of ziricote and I said, "Oh, heck yes!". That was so easy.

For the top, we decided to use torrefied spruce. I pretty much let Kevin run free on this. I did ask for a nice 12th fret marker. I think the only other decision was tuners, and I selected Rubner given their bang-for-the-buck.

Scale: 19.5
Tuning: Linear Bb
Top: Torrefied sitka spruce
Body: Ziricote (a stunning set, I might add!)
Finish: Shellac
Fingerboard: Macassar ebony
Bridge: Macassar ebony
Headstock: Slotted, with Macassar ebony plate
Tuners: Rubner

I evaluate ukes across four dimensions, and here are my thoughts on this particular uke.

I love the tone. I have it tuned linear Bb, which is where Kevin also ended up on the other 7 baritones he has made. The tone is very rich. Clear. Clean. Really great sustain.

Playability is top-notch, but that's not surprising as Kevin has played guitars and lutes professionally for many years. It is super comfortable to play. I did lower the action a bit and may lower it a tad more, but haven't fully decided.

Aesthetics: Even better in person. In the photos I had seen I loved many things but the front often seemed a little "washed out” that had me a little worried I would not be floored by the aesthetics. Maybe it was something about the pics because in person it looks great. And what a gorgeous set of ziricote. I also love the ebony fretboard. It’s unique. And the 12th fret marker is perfect. Just a splash of style. The tuners look fantastic, too. So, super happy!

Build execution. Kevin's work is very clean. Definitely punches above his weight class in terms of how clean his build is vs. his price point.

Yes, so I am very pleased with this uke and I definitely recommend Kevin. He's also a joy to work with.

I'll share a few photos below, but here is a link to all the photos:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskKG6DBm

Last edited:
That is a great looking bari. Terrific craftsmanship. Can't wait to hear it.

Any significance to the horns (2 anteaters? :))

Ditto! That is one fine looking bari. Congrats on that. Do you find the side port makes a lot of difference, sound wise?

@Kenn2018, no significance. I just wanted a nice, simple inlay for the 12th fret marker. I quite like it.

@Johnboy. I like to have a sound port but it's not the end all, be all. I have ukes with and without.

Wow it’s spectacular. Enjoy and those 12th fret marker are extra special.

Wow, beautiful! Can't wait to hear a sound sample. Enjoy it!

Gorgeous baritone Eddie. Excellent choices on your build.

You’ve selected Torrefied spruce on other builds. Is that your favorite top wood?
I’m going to have to get a Torrefied top uke some day.

Thanks, Hodge. Yes, I've had 4 torrefied tops and do like them. While I do think it has positive impact on tone, I also like what it does to the color.

Missed it in the first read. Why did you choose shellac instead of the many other finishes? Do you find it to be better in some respects?

I confess, I'm not familiar with many modern ukes or guitars having that finish. Only some older vintage instruments.

Holy Cow!
That is beautiful. 1st time I ever heard of Kevin Mason, he's really good.
I bet it sings....
Congrats!

Missed it in the first read. Why did you choose shellac instead of the many other finishes? Do you find it to be better in some respects?

I confess, I'm not familiar with many modern ukes or guitars having that finish. Only some older vintage instruments.

I thought maybe I should respond to your question on the shellac finish. It wasn't Eddie's choice--it's the only finish I offer. I like the way it brings out the character of the wood and I really enjoy the French polishing application process. It's also the most practical for me since I have a very small shop with no room for spray finishing. Thanks to Eddie and everyone else for the nice comments. I too look forward to a sound clip from Eddie.

Another great one. Lot of really great new ukes on the forum today

That ziricote is truely spectacular Eddie and French polished! Must be even more fantastic to behold in person.

That is a great looking bari. Terrific craftsmanship. Can't wait to hear it.

Any significance to the horns (2 anteaters? :))

Wow, beautiful! Can't wait to hear a sound sample. Enjoy it!

Holy Cow!
That is beautiful. 1st time I ever heard of Kevin Mason, he's really good.
I bet it sings....
Congrats!

Amazing tone and overall sound on this Kevin Mason baritone.

Here's a sound sample in A-tuning.

https://app.box.com/s/1xnwovyxip4hxkrghd4kyn66vy58i2vo

Top Bottom