Cabinet humidification advice

Wet-Skunk

Reaction score
I posted this cabinet many years ago under a different user name. I never really found an adequate way to properly humidify it over the years. I’ve basically been placing tupperware containers filled with water at the bottom, but this kills the bottom row concerning storage. It has done well to keep my Hawaiian instruments from cracking or separating. I was looking for advise. I’ve been eying up the Cigar Oasis Magna 3.0, but I am not sure if these type of humidifiers are appropriate for this use. Any suggestions would be appreciated. As a little back info on the cabinet: It is an IKEA bookshelf with the glass door adding. I removed the back Lauan sheet and replaced it with 1/2 oak plywood. I also put door insulation strips along all door surfaces and silicones all inner seams.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
You could throw a lot of boveda humidity packs in there.

I would think that a couple plastic bowls with soaked sponges on the bottom shelf would do the trick. Might take a little experimentation to determine how many sponges it would take. I'm just thinking about it. My suggestion is not based on any real experience.

You could use a nut milk bag filled with water beads and hung on a cord from the top of the cabinet inside. Experiment with different amounts of beads and a hygrometer to find the right amount of beads to use to achieve the desired humidity. Buy enough water beads to keep half of what you need, fully hydrated in a sealed container so when the cabinet beads dry out, you can simply swap in hydrated beads.

I would investigate cigar humidor humidifier systems. As these are also designed for cabinets. Also you could ask a cigar specialty store what they use to humidify their humidor room. Good luck. Let us know what you wind up with.

The main thing you have to do is put an hygrometer or two in there and see what the humidity is. Anything wet is going to add to the humidity, so getting the right level of moisture would be your main concern. Once you can maintain the % you want, you're all set.

I was checking out the Boveda products. I can't see where they mention the square footage their packs will handle.

If I had unlimited money and unlimited wall space, I would buy this product:

https://www.acousticremedycases.com/products/ukulele-wall-model

However, I would rather use the money toward the purchase of a new instrument, but I digress...

If you search their website, they have an extensive discussion about having an airtight display case and their ability to control humidification using two standard boveda packs in there. If you look at the amazon website, in the question and answer portion, the link I sent you states from the manufacturer that one of these jumbos is the equivalent of six standard packs.

Your cabinet is a little bigger as it houses multiple instruments, so I suggest throwing in 2. There's no harm to having more packs. Just check the hygrometer that you already have.

Also, if you search the internet, a lot of people state that you do not have to throw the boveda packs away when they get hard, you can "re-fresh" them through a variety of means (for e.g., sealed Tupperware container with water).

Hope this helps! Good luck! I love your case too.

Last edited:
I was checking out the Boveda products. I can't see where they mention the square footage their packs will handle.

3 Boveda packets for an average guitar case is the recommended number to use. (Two in the sound hole, one under the headstock.) No idea what the volume of a guitar case is. If you have an old one you're about to trash, fill it with measured amounts of water to get an idea.

I would investigate cigar humidor humidifier systems. As these are also designed for cabinets. Also you could ask a cigar specialty store what they use to humidify their humidor room. Good luck. Let us know what you wind up with.

I decided to go this route. After some google searches and a call to Cigar Oasis, I'm going to try out the Cigar Oasis 3.0 Magna. This will help me reclaim a few of the bottom spots for uke storage, that are being taken up by dishes.

Top Bottom