Hilo strings - any information

frianm

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I just bought a nice used ukulele and it came with a spare set of Hilo concert strings. They are distributed by Pegasus strings, Hilo, Hawaii, so they come from the big island. Does anyone know anything about them?

You might try to contact luthier Bob Gleason of Pegasus Guitars (UU handle: Pegasus Guitars). He used to sell the strings (they may have been his own brand; I'm not sure).

Years ago I only encountered Hilo strings on Mele ukuleles, and was really impressed by the wound/low G sound. On the Mele FAQ you can find the following info:

When we first started building ukes, we tried almost every kind of strings on the market. We found that rectified black nylon strings by Hilo Strings sounded, sustained and intonated better than any others on our instruments and we started carrying them and installing them on our ukuleles. In 2014, Hilo Strings became unavailable due to the company going out of business. We hooked up with D’addario strings, who had supplied the strings that Hilo packaged and sold, and with their help, we introduced our own brand of uke strings, Echoes of Aloha. They are exactly the same gauges, materials and winds as the Hilo strings were, and we have even been able to keep the prices the same. You can order Echoes of Aloha strings from us by email, phone or through our website, or have your local music store get in touch with us here at Mele Ukulele to become an Echoes of Aloha dealer.

Years ago I only encountered Hilo strings on Mele ukuleles, and was really impressed by the wound/low G sound. On the Mele FAQ you can find the following info:

This is most helpful - thank you.
I have just set up my 97 Braddah concert with Worth Browns and will keep these in reserve. I will check the Mele site.
Best wishes - Ian

Top Bottom