Vocal Harmony Stomp Box

Ukuleleblues

Reaction score
Anyone have one of the vocal harmony stop box's? (Electro Harmonix, DigiTec,etc) I know the harmmony is derived from your voice and the chords played on your guitar hooked to the box. Anyone use these with a high G Ukulele? Has anyone performed with one?

I have a Mini Kaoss Pad from Korg which can pitch up or down an octave. I also had an early Zoom that had a similar pitch features and my Roland Micro Cube Bass RX amp can blend in a tone an octave lower, which I've tried on the uke.

Two things about these I've played or others I have heard:
  • They sound substantially better playing single notes rather than chords. Some can't seem to accurately track a whole chord while most seem to turn chords into low-bitrate sounds like an AM radio. I am assuming they opted for lower bitrates in order to avoid a timing lag.
  • They pitch up much better than down. Pitching down typically sounds weak. I was hoping to use the Mini KP to play bass with a uke. But an octave below a reentrant tuning makes C the low note and is not even in the bass range. It wound up sounding like a guitar with a bad pickup and a few strings missing.

Since I was looking for a bass sound to fill in the low end that the uke is missing, I got an Ashbory Bass. It has rubber strings and an 18 inch scale. The sound it great, but it's taking a while to get used to the lack of frets. (Not that that would help you on stage). If you're looking for more of an 8 string uke sound when pitched up an octave, I'd recommend you try one out first. I don't know that they really sound as expected.

I have often thought it would be cool to put a digital guitar pickup or midi pickup under the C string of a uke and pitch down two octaves to have bass accompaniment. Since it's a created sound, not a processed one, it would have much more punch. And it would cost what? $1000? I guess that's a project for another week.

.......I have often thought it would be cool to put a digital guitar pickup or midi pickup under the C string of a uke and pitch down two octaves to have bass accompaniment. Since it's a created sound, not a processed one, it would have much more punch. And it would cost what? $1000? I guess that's a project for another week.

Thank you for the information. I have digitech pedal I've played onstage with a Low G tuned uke with the 1 octave lower effect. Sounded like a guitar!

I was actually wondering if anyone has used the vocal harmony boxes for singing through, to enhance their vocals. i was wondering if it was useabel or just a novelty.

Top Bottom