Behringer Adi21 with active pickup?

Adhrast

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I've been lurking for a long time, but I think this is my first thread here.
On to the question: I have a Mahimahi tenor ukulele with a Belcat active pickup and preamp.
I've recently bought an M Audio 2x2 audio interface with the idea of recording, but I can't seem to get a good sound and volume out of it. Would a DI pedal like the Behringer Adi21 help with getting a better signal and taking out a bit of the piezo quack, even if the pickup is active?
Thanks in advance!

Will the Behringer ADI21 help? Yes it will help, but honestly, I recommend that you just use a microphone in the first place. Even a cheap and simple microphone like a Behringer XM8500 will give superior results to anything you will achieve through a pickup no matter what you do.

Thanks for the reply :)
However, I'm into ambient/post rock stuff, so my aim is to use a lot of effect, like reverbs, delays, etc
Funny thing is, it sounds much much better through my crappy Kustom guitar solid state combo, so it's weird that it wouldn't sound at least decent through an audio interface.
Any other tip beside external mic?
Also, if I do end up getting a ADI21, do i have to put it at the beginning or at the end of the signal chain? I'd guess at the beginning, but I'd rather be sure :)

I own the Behringer AD121 and yes it definitely helps eliminate piezo quack and you can sculpt the over all tone. Plug your uke into the AD121 then out to your recording interface

I have the Behringher on my board at the end of my chain. But the chain is not that long, it start with a Zoom G1on for all the effects stuff which then goes to to Behringer, I normally use the XLR out when playing live. But even the unbalanced jack out is much better then without the Behringer. Als you already have an active preamp, it might be a good idea to play with the tone controls? Then again the Behringer has tonecontrols too.

I've recently bought an M Audio 2x2 audio interface with the idea of recording, but I can't seem to get a good sound and volume out of it.

I'm into ambient/post rock stuff, so my aim is to use a lot of effect, like reverbs, delays, etc
Funny thing is, it sounds much much better through my crappy Kustom guitar solid state combo, so it's weird that it wouldn't sound at least decent through an audio interface.

So what is your recording chain? I assume when you're playing to the amp that the effects come before the amp and the amp is the last thing, yes? When recording are you sending the signal that would have gone to the amp and sending that to the audio interface? But you're not happy with that sound? If so, you may just need an amp sim in the DAW before you'll start being happy with the sound.

So what is your recording chain? I assume when you're playing to the amp that the effects come before the amp and the amp is the last thing, yes? When recording are you sending the signal that would have gone to the amp and sending that to the audio interface? But you're not happy with that sound? If so, you may just need an amp sim in the DAW before you'll start being happy with the sound.

I actually only tried plugging the ukulele straight to Logic Pro's guitar sims, I'll try putting the effect before the audio interface and see if it changes anything.
Or, I just buy the Behringer since it's only 25 euros and maybe that'll solve it.

I actually only tried plugging the ukulele straight to Logic Pro's guitar sims, I'll try putting the effect before the audio interface and see if it changes anything.
Or, I just buy the Behringer since it's only 25 euros and maybe that'll solve it.
Yeah, a lot of this is "trial and error". But reading the OP again, I do find it surprising you aren't able to good volume even if you aren't happy with the tone yet. I've never had trouble getting good recording level even out of passive pickups. I assume you've adjusted the volume on the preamp and the gain on the interface. If both of those seem ok, double check that the cord connections are good - unplug and plug in again with a firm push.

Yeah, a lot of this is "trial and error". But reading the OP again, I do find it surprising you aren't able to good volume even if you aren't happy with the tone yet. I've never had trouble getting good recording level even out of passive pickups. I assume you've adjusted the volume on the preamp and the gain on the interface. If both of those seem ok, double check that the cord connections are good - unplug and plug in again with a firm push.

Well I can get a decent volume, but I need to crank up the gain, thus amplifying the background noise as well. Maybe it could be solved by EQing in Logic, but I'm not skilled enough to do that yet :confused:

Well I can get a decent volume, but I need to crank up the gain, thus amplifying the background noise as well. Maybe it could be solved by EQing in Logic, but I'm not skilled enough to do that yet :confused:

That could be it. If you look at the frequency response of a typical guitar amp, it chops the lows and highs pretty significantly:
https://wgsusa.com/blog/what-guitar-speaker-frequency-response-charts-really-mean

and a small amp is going to cut the lows even more. So if you like the way the amp sounds, you may want to try EQ'ing in Logic similarly or with the preamp

Top Bottom