Summer NAMM 2019

UkeStuff

Reaction score
I’m on my way back from Summer NAMM and while many ukulele manufacturers do not find their way to Summer NAMM, there were still a half dozen ukulele dealers or so.

Kala introduced a few new models that looked nice—it seems like the flat finish is en vogue at the moment.

Amahi has a sopranissimo on the way...same colors as Ortega, but no turtle. They also have a sub brand called Panda, and there’s a $39 ABS/Wood model reminiscent of the Flight TUS 35. Incidentally, Hal Leonard is carrying Flight now, as well as the Kahua brand.

Martin had four on the wall including a style 5, an IZ, and the Konter replica.

A new company, Bamboo Ukulele, from Argentina, was there to establish connections before launching in the fall.

Lanikai won a “Best of Show” for their Bocote thin line ukulele.

Córdoba seems to have ditched the Protege line. Lanikai has worked pretty hard to revamp their offerings, and it sounds as if the Korala models are next to be addressed.

And I like every Alvarez ukulele that I pick up. I know it’s a guitar maker—but they sound nice.

I also had a chance to play the Ortega Hydra that I want; it’s heavier than I expected, and apparently deliveries are delayed because batch #1 didn’t work out so well.

It was fun to attend for a day; I think I’d rather try to catch the Winter NAMM in the future.

I was at Summer NAMM on Saturday. Did you go to the Kala ukulele circle, led by Ukulenny? It was a lot of fun!

Does NAMM have an area for low-volume ukulele brands and luthiers to display?

I was at Summer NAMM on Saturday. Did you go to the Kala ukulele circle, led by Ukulenny? It was a lot of fun!

I skipped that and left right before it. I had been made to put my ukulele in my car as I tried to enter the vendor area that morning, and I didn’t want to have to go all the way back to the car to get it—plus I’ll see Ukulenny at the LA Ukulele Festival in a couple of months.

Top Bottom