Has Martin stopped making ukulele strings, except by Aquila?

Jarmo_S

Reaction score
I used to find Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings in my home city. Not anymore.

I also searched Thomann huge internet store and could only find Martin baritone uke strings M630. It makes me think/suspect that the production, at least fluorocarbon strings, has been ceased?

Note the asterisk on the page you linked - shipped in the US only. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Some policy thing maybe between Martin and Aquila, so that only those so called premium strings made by Aquila are allowed to import into music stores worldwide. Very suspicious indeed.

To others, I know there are working links, I found here in Finland one too before the original post. It is not that, and because I like these strings, I will have to choose one from them most likely :)

It may just be a policy change in your local stores. My local stores carry a VERY limited range of ukulele strings. Its mostly Aquila New Nylgut and Aquila Red so its just as well that Aquila New Nylgut is what I want.

Cutting lines that don't sell enough is kind of business 101.

I used to find Martin M600 fluorocarbon strings in my home city. Not anymore.

I also searched Thomann huge internet store and could only find Martin baritone uke strings M630. It makes me think/suspect that the production, at least fluorocarbon strings, has been ceased?

Checking eBay U.K. there is no difficulty in getting the M600’s here, and as we’re both in the EU shipping from here to Finland should be possible and cheap. Assuming that you speak other European languages I’d have thought that the eBay and Amazon site’s for those countries could supply you easily enough - Germany is nearer to you and M600’s are listed on eBay.de. As an alternative Living Water strings are sent from the U.K. to the USA so no doubt you could be sent something quite close to the M600’s too if you wished.

Just a word of caution on the string markings / envelopes, something that was voiced here some time back. I’ve found that the strings in recent packets of the M600’s aren’t all correctly labelled; I suggest that you take all the strings out of their envelopes, measure each string for relative thickness and fit in the appropriate order. It’s only a random guess but concerns and complaints from that situation might have persuaded some stockists to not reorder and to sell something else instead.

Last edited:
If you can't get the M600 strings (or M620) in Australia, it might be worth checking out the other fluorocarbon options including D'Addario, Worth, and Oasis (not to mention Living Waters). I also find the Aquila sugars to be very similar to fluorocarbon, although a bit squeaky at first.

Top Bottom