PDA

View Full Version : Strings on longnecks.

Wet-Skunk
07-23-2019, 01:21 PM
I recently picked up a Koaloha Opio long neck Soprano and long neck concert. I'm assuming the soprano takes concert strings and the concert takes tenor strings? I just went to order some Living Water strings and wasn't sure.

DownUpDave
07-23-2019, 01:48 PM
I recently picked up a Koaloha Opio long neck Soprano and long neck concert. I'm assuming the soprano takes concert strings and the concert takes tenor strings? I just went to order some Living Water strings and wasn't sure.

That is the general rule of thumb, match string gauge to scale length. I have gone smaller, less tension and brighter. You can experiment if you like.

Oh and congrats on the two Koalohas, they are wonderful instruments

King David
07-23-2019, 06:25 PM
<If we’re talking re-entrant (high g) C tuning>
Tried both the stock tenor and concert strings on my koaloha super concert... it’s a light build so it doesn’t really need all that extra tension/gauge to fully drive the concert sized sound board. In fact, I thought the tenor strings stiffened the soundboard and made it vibrate less due to slightly too much tension. Again, a KoAloha is a light build. The concert strings sound great, the soundboard vibrates more, it’s plenty loud, and the tension isn’t too light.

Croaky Keith
07-23-2019, 11:47 PM
Concert scale strings on both. All my tenor & concert scale ukes have them fitted.

lakesideglenn
07-24-2019, 02:03 AM
I use Martin M600 soprano strings on my long-neck sopranos without any problems.