Enya Strings

aremick

Reaction score
I am considering getting one of those Enya ukuleles with the removable neck.

Q: Are there any strings that more or less stay stretched when you slack them off?

It would be nice if I could take off the neck for storage and transport but have the strings not go out of tune for days after replacing the neck (and strings)...

We have had several of their HPL with removable neck instruments (soprano, pineapple, concert, and tenor) and I can tell you that the strings still need time to settle after you slack them and take off the neck. Not as long as when you put fresh strings on, but it still takes a couple of days before they are back to "normal."

When I remove strings or tuners, it takes a while for the old strings to settle in again. It's not just the stretching. It's getting them settled in the bridge and onto the tuning pegs where they're coiled. It's not nearly as bad as with new strings, but they won't be in tune when you reattach the neck. That's my opinion based on experience using old, stretched strings. Not a big deal, considering the convenience of making the uke instantly smaller.

So the original question still remains - are some strings better for this than others?

Enya strings are the worst.

Change to ANYTHING asap.

So the original question still remains - are some strings better for this than others?

In general, nylon strings stretch the most, for the longest time, so I'd pick a fluorocarbon.

Top Bottom