WTB: KALA SOLID FLAME MAPLE CUTAWAY Tenor or Concert

shanmoon

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Looking for a r KA-ASFM-C-C All Solid Flame Maple Concert Cutaway Concert or the same in tenor size: KA-ASFM-T-C All Solid Flame Maple Cutaway Tenor. I know Mim has one on her site now, but I really don't like the flame pattern on that one, I am hoping for one a little less asymmetrical looking.

I just saw those on line for the first time. Real pretty!
Good luck on the search.

These are brand new for 2019. You might have a hard time finding a used one at this point.

I got my Kala from MIMS UKES. Why not try her store? She might have it, and you won't find a better price.

I see a concert on Reverb (didn't look for tenor)

Hi shanmoon, you still looking for this Kala solid flame maple cutaway? You're in luck. I bought the last one from HMS on July 4th, and after their amazing setup, it arrived last Thursday, 7/25. BUT...i decided to return it actually for several reasons. One, i decided I should use the money instead to get my kid a digital piano. 2nd, and of course, it's a gorgeous looking uke with amazing features, but the sound wasn't what I needed once getting it in person, compared to the amazing sound samples on the ukulele site. In person, it's true, that it does have a very piano-like quality, each note is very clear and rings out, and just as they described, it's very transparent. I didn't know what that actually meant until hearing it in person. I can describe it as just a very pure crystalline tone, with no undertones, overtones, etc. Just very pure, if that's what you like. I felt like it didn't have enough bass or ooompf that i needed. But, that's a personal taste thing. You or others might actually love this transparent clear tone and it does sound very "angelic", like a harp.

So, if you're still looking for it, and willing to wait a bit, the uke is on its way back to HMS today via FeDex, should be there in 2 days, and they will put it back in stock. You might want want to email Corey or Veronica there and tell them you want it and reserve it for you maybe before they put it back online. It's brand new in pristine condition, since i only had it a few days. It's already setup with action just under 2.5mm at the 12fret, so if you want it, you probably don't have to wait another 3 weeks for them to go through setup again since it's already done nicely.

I agree with you, that the one on Mim's site, the grain, is kinda weird. I didn't like that either, with the horizontal pattern cutting through it. But buying from Mim is awesome. I've bought 2 from her already in the past.

anyway, the only other place i found this kala solid maple tenor (that will come with setup), is from Uke Republic. Same price as HMS.

good luck and hope you will be the proud owner of this beautiful uke.

wow, thanks for letting me know. I had already pinged Veronica about one and she had said it would be awhile before they got any more from Kala. I saw Mim had one, but I really didn't care for the grain on that particular one, with one side dramatically different from the other in tone. I've bought from Mim before too and she did a great job of installing a pickup in an Ohana from me. If I looked the look of that particular one bette,r I would snag it.

Last edited:
Hi shanmoon, great, yeah for sure, email Corey and Veronica that you want it. Tell them you corresponded with me, (last name is SIEW), and that it's the one i just sent back. Fedex told me it should arrive back at HMS tomorrow by 5 PM. I don't know if they will put it through another setup, but they will of course inspect if after it arrives if anything happened during shipment. I doubt it, since it's packed very nicely, with all the original shipping material, doubled boxed, etc. I hear ya, i used to not really care about grain and look but now that i'm more selective, looks do count. It helps to make us just wanna stare, admire, pick up the instrument each time! The one i got from HMS definitely is pretty and does not have weird pattern mismatch. Here are the pics Corey emailed me of the particular i got. IMG_7521.jpgIMG_7522.jpg

a little hard to tell from the angle he took the pics at, and he sent them lower resolution. but in person it's quite nice and has a nice sheen and smooth matte finish.

Last edited:
sure thing, you're welcomed! Hope they reserve it for you and if you love pure crystalline and tight sounding tone, then you will love this one. It's definitely very classy looking. Gosh actually if i had seen your post earlier, I would have just sent the uke to you myself instead, so you'll get it faster. But oh well, hopefully HMS won't charge you shipping since it's just 1 cent off of the $400 limit for free 2 day shipping. I am trying to sell my other Caramel CB500 rosewood baritone uke though, any one want it? It's my 1st baritone and now i want to try a different wood, like the Ohana BK-35CGE cutaway. the CB500 is in great condition, i also put it through a pro setup worth $75, and put new Worth Browns all carbon DGBE on it, and selling for $100 even + shipping. Online one can get it for $98, but it takes forever for it to arrive from China and they come with crazy hard high action and sharp frets. I got that all fixed. Anyway, let me know anyone, if you'll are interested in my CB500 bari, before i try the marketplace

Shanmoon, good luck and let me know if you snag the Kala maple and hope you love it!

Reserved for me, pending inspection. Might still be interested in a concert... slowly getting various friends and family members interested in learning to play. Might want to get a concert for my mother depending on what I think of the tenor.

how is the maple as a top? Usually have seen maple paired with spruce top. How does maple compare to cedar and koa as a tonewood?

I'll post my (fairly noobish) take on it after I receive it. Since I am having a strap button and pickup added, it will probably be a week+ before I get it.

Hi. I've got one of these as well (from HMS). I've had it about a month now, and really like it. I'm fairly new to ukulele, so haven't played that many different models, but it's my favorite so far in looks and sound. I got it with a low G (Fremont Soloist) and the rest stock strings (Aquila, I think). I was told by HMS that if I wanted to get more volume out of it to try flurocarbon strings, so I did put Living Water C, E, and A strings on it for a couple of days, but went back to the original Aquilas.

If anyone else that has one has string recommendations, I'd be interested in hearing them! I do really like the Fremont Soloist and the E and A Aquila strings sound nice (pure), but the C string is kind of a dud. I ordered a Thomastik-Infeld CF-27 to try on C, but it hasn't arrived yet.

-Brett

I've gotten very fond of Anuenue Black Water string. They are relatively low tension, and to my ear are like worth browns only with more clarity of tone and less mush (not to say I don't like worth browns...i do very much!)a

I replaced the worth browns I had on a Pono spruce/rosewood concert with the Anuenue Black Waters and kept the freemont soloist low g, and it sounds even better to me now, with a little more clarity to each note, an a little more bell like upper registry.

If the Ukulele Site is still out of stock and someone can’t wait, Avenue Guitar in Colorado has one in stock. They are great people to deal with. Here is a link.
https://www.avenueguitars.com/collections/ukuleles/products/kala-ka-asfm-t-c

I have different strings on different ukuleles. Living Water, Pepe Romero, Aquila and Fremont Black Line. Corey recommenced Ko’olau Aho for this model.

Last edited:
Top Bottom