Another NUD: Kamaka HF-3

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
IMG_5328.jpgIMG_4996.jpg
IMG_7905.jpgIMG_7091.jpg

The other day, I received a 1920's Vintage Martin Soprano, and the same day, I received a 2002 Kamaka Tenor that I traded a 2012 KoAloha tenor for.

So, the KoAloha tenor was my favorite ukulele. I have Pineapple Sundays, Martins, and I have had Kanile'as, and Ponos. I even had Kamakas and recently I sold a 1979 HF-38 that I purchased at the factory from Sam Kamaka in 1979. I found the HF-38 difficult to play as the neck was thicker and it needed much more pressure than I could provide with chronic tendonitis in my left palm, and yet, I had this desire to have a Kamaka tenor.

Got to talking to FrIan and he was selling a Kamaka Tenor and we started talking about trades when all of a sudden, it made sense to me to trade my KoAloha for the Kamaka. Now, remember, I loved the KoAloha, and I did not like the Kamaka 8-string, so I knew it would be chancy.

I received the Kamaka and sure enough, it reminded me of the HF-38 but a quick change of strings and I have to tell you, I am in love with this new to me Kamaka. I prefer Low-G and quickly made that happen, and even with the Low-g, it has that distinctive Hawaiian sound that I had been missing in my tenors. I love the boomy KoAloha and hope to have another one soon after a trip to the KoAloha factory next week, but this Kamaka gives me brilliant highs, and just enough low-G to have some body to the tone. The ukulele is physically beautiful and in excellent condition. I can't put it down. The sound is exceptional.

I am really lucky to own some exceptionally fine ukulele and it is a pleasure to play the best. I am happy to add this Kamaka to my collection.

Mahalo Ian for this wonderful trade.

Attachments

• IMG_5402.jpg
    IMG_5402.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 36
Congrats on owning a newer kamaka! Some commented that the newer Kamakas are in fact better than the vintage Kamakas. Your experience seems to be aligned to that.

You are on a winning streak: a Kamaka, a trip with your group to Hawaii, and a new KoAloha anticipated!

Congrats!! I bought a new HF3 in the last month (but havent gotten around to doing a NUD post yet!), also with a low G. It was between the Kamaka and a really nice KoAloha, and ultimately came down to which one being left on the table would haunt me the most. The two are quite different tonally, as well as physically, and the general consensus is that the Kamaka has more clarity and distinctiveness from one note to the next. Both very fine ukuleles, obviously, and you really cant go wrong with either.

Nice trade Ed. Congratulations. I enjoy my 2017 Ko'Aloha KTM-00 tenor (Also 2004). And my 2017 Kamaka HF-3 tenor.

They are both solid koa and as you have said, sound very different. I think they are equally fine instruments.

Top Bottom