NUD: Bonanza Thinline SLN

Jim Hanks

Reaction score
Got this ostensibly as a "travel uke" to take in the car but it's gonna be the "leave out of the case" uke too so I imagine it will get a good bit of playing time

Spec:
HPL soprano body, Thinline Flatlander style, eggplant pattern
concert neck 15" scale
Graphtec ratio tuners
String through bridge
Corian nut and saddle
Worth brown strings with Fremont Soloist low G
Mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard

Very comfortable to play and setup is great.

Tone to the player is fairly quiet and mellow, but as you'll see in the video, it's louder and brighter out in front.

No pics yet but here's the unboxing:

Congratulations Jim. What a fabulous choice for a travel/out of the case ukulele, I quite like the flat lander body shape. I own a Bonanza, Pete and Shelley are so wonderful to deal with.

Enjoy,

Steve.

Congratulations Jim. What a fabulous choice for a travel/out of the case ukulele, I quite like the flat lander body shape. I own a Bonanza, Pete and Shelley are so wonderful to deal with.

Yeah, I like "pineapple" style bodies and the flat bottom is a bonus. Agree on Pete/Shelley. I already have a third in the pipeline. :)

These look nice! Agree that the Bonanza people are good people too!

Good Review, makes me want to investigate Bonanza for a possible aquisition of a more robust ukulele.

Just received my Bonanza "Oreo" baritone. Add my voice to those of the others singing the praises for Pete and Shelley Mai. I think I might come down with a case pf BAS (Bonanza Acquisition Syndrome) soon. The build quality, options available, and innovative ideas are all hard to beat. Add the friendly, helpful customer service that really stands out, and Bonanza ukes could easily become addicting! If you haven't checked them out, you really owe it to yourself to do so.

Just received my Bonanza "Oreo" baritone. Add my voice to those of the others singing the praises for Pete and Shelley Mai. I think I might come down with a case pf BAS (Bonanza Acquisition Syndrome) soon. The build quality, options available, and innovative ideas are all hard to beat. Add the friendly, helpful customer service that really stands out, and Bonanza ukes could easily become addicting! If you haven't checked them out, you really owe it to yourself to do so.

I love my tenor Oreo. it has great sound and looks. Very good price, too. A friend has one on order.

Jim, nice Uke. Looks to be perfect for your purpose. I’ve only read good things about Bonanza. Can you comment on graphtech tuners. What a wonderful choice for HPL ukulele!

Jerry, did you do new Uke day on your Oreo. I’ve been eyeing those. What woods and any comments on this instrument. Sorry Jim, not trying to hijack this thread. Jerry , if you’ve done Oreo review link me or pics. LOL would be nice perhaps in another thread!

Congrats Jim, that is a nice uke indeed. Sounds like it'll be put to good use.

Thanks for sharing your video celebrating the new ukulele. Here's hoping you enjoy many hours of happy strumming. :)

Jim, nice Uke. Looks to be perfect for your purpose. I’ve only read good things about Bonanza. Can you comment on graphtech tuners. What a wonderful choice for HPL ukulele!

I like the Graphtecs. My third Bonanza that I referenced above just came in (NUD post soon) and also has them. They don't look as good as Gotoh UPTs, but seem to work about as well out of the box. If anything I like the 6:1 ratio a little better than the 4:1. I guess we'll see how well they hold up, but so far, so good.

Nice to hear Jim. How they function is most important. They should last a good long time. Type ukulele, which are pretty high end, had them on a nice concert on HMS site. I like fact you have options. Also $25-30 isn’t shabby either for retro. Thanks for reply.

Sorry meant to type in Tyde from California by Lake Taho. Still one finger typing on iPad. I’m used to full keyboard but don’t have a system right now!

Hopefully it was just a fluke on mine, but I was not horribly impressed with the Graphtec tuners. I purchased a uke with them recently, and one of them started to get loose. You could literally watch the tuner spin out of tune. Had a replacement sent, and then another started doing the same thing. I decided to go to the gotoh tuners instead.

Nice vid Jim. As always. Cool soprano. Great to have handy during travels. Or right at hand at home.

I don't know if Bonanza offers the option, but do you think your Thinline model would benefit from a side port? To give the player a better idea of the sound while playing? Just curious.

Hopefully it was just a fluke on mine, but I was not horribly impressed with the Graphtec tuners. I purchased a uke with them recently, and one of them started to get loose. You could literally watch the tuner spin out of tune. Had a replacement sent, and then another started doing the same thing. I decided to go to the gotoh tuners instead.

Sorry to hear that. Hmm. Can't go wrong with Gotoh.

I don't know if Bonanza offers the option, but do you think your Thinline model would benefit from a side port? To give the player a better idea of the sound while playing? Just curious.
I think they do offer the option but not entirely sure. I doubt it would help much on the thinline, but I dunno. Full depth with a side port would be an interesting experiment. Why don't you try it and let us know how it goes? :p

Nice vid Jim. As always. Cool soprano. Great to have handy during travels. Or right at hand at home.

I asked about getting one on the Flatlander Bonanze HPL uke I ordered last year. The answer was no.

Top Bottom