Martin S-O

Swamp Yankee

Reaction score
When did Martin begin and end production of their Mexican made S-O ukuleles?

Last edited:
Thanks Jerry! I was able to find the odd video now and then about the S-O ukes dating back to 09, but not much fanfare about their release. Surprising to me as, unless I’m mistaken, they were the first ukes Martin made after dropping ukes in the mid 90s.

I’ve found a few more references to the Martin S-O dating them back as far as 2000. I’m still surprised I’m not finding more about them :/

I remember seeing one for sale in Appleton, WI in about 2008, but it could have been in 2007. I was surprised to see it but delighted.

Below is an excerpt from "100 Years of Martin's Landmark Ukuleles". It indicates Martin probably started building the SO sometime in 1998 or so. I can shed a bit of light as to why they stopped making them. The first production models of this late 1990's release didn't quite live up to Martin's legacy standards and just appeared to be cheaply made with a pretty big price for what it was. Also, no position dots on the side or fretboard as well as no kerfing. Some complained it only had 12 frets, but to me I prefer a 12 fret neck.

"In 1997, just three years after removing ukuleles from production, Martin began building “Backpacker” model ukuleles at its factory in Navahoa, Mexico. Soon it was making a standard-shaped soprano mahogany model at the same facility, a model called the S0 ukulele. As interest in ukuleles continued to grow, Martin decided the time was right to begin building ukuleles in Nazareth again. In 2006, Martin re-entered the high-end ukulele market by re-issuing the Style 5K ukulele, a model that had not been made in regular production since 1938. The next year it debuted the Style 5 “Daisy” ukulele, a curly mahogany instrument modeled after a ukulele that C.F. Martin III had built for his wife in the 1930s.

More affordable models soon followed, some made in Nazareth and some in Mexico. In 2008, Martin introduced three new Style 3 models, in mahogany, koa, and cherry. In 2010, they added a more affordable 0XK ukulele, made from a high-pressure laminate. In 2011, the new line of Style 2 ukuleles debuted. Besides the soprano, these included a concert and tenor ukulele—Martin’s first larger-bodied ukuleles to be re-issued. The next year, they added C1K and T1K concert and tenor ukuleles made in the Mexican facility."

Last edited:
I recall that back when these were being made, they were not well received and most reviews panned them for the reasons noted above. Certainly the quality and construction was nowhere near what people expected from a company with such a long and storied history.

Thank you for the back story of the modern Martins. It clears up a lot of speculation I've heard of.
Strum on Dave

Last edited:
Funny. I bought my first Martin uke (an S-0) in Berlin in 2011. I didn't even know they had started making them. When I played it in the music store, it sounded like no other uke I'd played up until that moment. i BOUGHT IT on the spot at higher European prices.

I still have that uke. It has a very bright sound. It does look a bit rough for its price but it sounds wonderful. The S1 is a better replacement though. Here is the first song I wrote on it. I would never get rid of that uke. I had to go all the way to Berlin to find one by accident and I didn't even know they were making ukes again. It seems Martin really didn't advertise it.

Petey

For those who have not seen it, Petey has a nice comparison of a variety of Martins, including the S0

Yes, the finish is like a low end uke. The biggest difference between it and my OXK - my only frame of comparison - is no inner bracing.

I put side dots on myself and it is a lovely playing ukulele. I like 12 fret ukes.

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_114312.jpg
    IMG_20181217_114312.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 20
I got mine in a consignment shop a few months back. I paid $75 for it. I do like it a lot, and love the 12 fret design and the neck carve. It also has a very nice voice. But due to the lack of kerfed lining, the back is coming away from the side on the lower bout. I plan to repair it this coming winter but, for now, I play it often, if carefully.

Pete's video was a great comparison of Martin sopranos. As much as I like Koa for ukuleles, my favorites tend to be Mahogany.

Just have to add , I have two Martin SO's , one for about 20 years , I think it is an excellent uke , mine sits out on the coffe table year round , winter heat and all, I've never had a problem.
The newer ones seem finished better that the early ones. I dont think you can go wrong with any Martin uke. Martin did produce a rare uke , the HSO ( less than 200 made ), which was similar to the SO
but with kerfed linings and finished in Nazareth.

Top Bottom