Budget "vintage" style ukulele

buffalo_nickel

Reaction score
Hey guys,
getting back into playing Uke.
I love the history of the uke and I'm looking for something with history (either behind the model, the look, the company etc)

I'd love to get a Martin but they are out of my range right now.

Looking for something around $200 or less.

US made would be a huge plus

Does anything come to mind? I know this is a bit vague, just want something with some history behind it if possible. Even if just the design.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Ohana sk-28 comes to mind. Also, the Mainland mahogany soprano. I think Mim stocks both.

Last edited:
The Ohana sk-28 comes to mind. Also, the Mainland mahogany soprano. I think Mim stocks both.

Good idea.
Yes, see Mimsukes.com
She'll have what you want.

Good idea.
Yes, see Mimsukes.com
She'll have what you want.

Thanks! Part of my problem is I don't know what to look for.

I need suggestions on what a vintage/historical body style or look would be :)

Vintage looks is exactly what a Martin soprano looks like.
Vintage should be Soprano sized, Mahogany body, fiction tuners, slender double bout body, unbounded frets, small saddle and a satin polish

Vintage should be Soprano sized, Mahogany body, fiction tuners, slender double bout body, unbounded frets, small saddle and a satin polish

Awesome. Thanks so much!

Perfect!
And some vintage, vintage would have rope binding. And maybe koa....

You can often find Favillas for a reasonable price. They are terrific instruments.

In the super budget realm, is there one of the lower prices Kalas that is close? The MK-S seems to be close to the martins in appearance

Nice “affordable” options available at “eBay vintage ukuleles”.

I love the SK-28, the Ohana SK-38 is what I play as well! Both are super!
Made in China, I know I know... but... setup in America and Ohana is by far my favorite import. They really care about the quality and it gets checked at Ohana, then setup by me, and they get to you in GREAT shape!

The Mainland is great too! I dont offer them because if you want them, I send you to my friend Mainland Mike. So those are super as well!

There's a Gretch tenor for sale in the marketplace in your price range. A new build but a good old time name in ukulele history.

Hey guys,
getting back into playing Uke.
I love the history of the uke and I'm looking for something with history (either behind the model, the look, the company etc)

I'd love to get a Martin but they are out of my range right now.

Looking for something around $200 or less.

US made would be a huge plus

Does anything come to mind? I know this is a bit vague, just want something with some history behind it if possible. Even if just the design.

Thanks!

As you are in the USA (or rather that’s what I assume) your chances of getting something are quite high however getting something that plays really well for $200 is not a certainty - some set-up and simple restoration work might be required. Ebay is your friend and so is Craig’s list / local adds (see: https://www.ebay.com/b/Vintage-Ukuleles/119025/bn_3134185). As others have said your target is basically Soprano, friction tuners, slotted bridge, 12 fret neck, sold wood and mahogany finish. Many people feel that the Favila meets that spec and occasionally something not shot comes up within you budget but they’re usually snapped up. Investigate Regal and Harmony too and get to know which models they made and what the specifications for them were. If you are happy to accept a laminate Uke then there are lots available well within your budget, if you must have solid wood then most of them have some form of damage due to age and the damage caused by humidity changes. If you want new then a standard Bruko might work for you, however availability in the US is poor and not everyone likes the Bruko sound (I didn’t but wonder if I was too hasty selling mine).

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks again guys! Through this search I've found that the simpler the design, the more it traces back to original (Martin style) ukes. It's very hard to find a modern made mahogany soprano without some design around the sound hole, white trim, or something like that. Really just looking for something as barebones as possible.

There's a Gretch tenor for sale in the marketplace in your price range. A new build but a good old time name in ukulele history.

Think I want to stay away from ukes with pickups, but doing a little digging, it looks like "Gretsch Guitars Root Series G9100 Soprano" might be exactly what I'm looking for. Tricky to find the "Roots" version with the tuning pegs in the back of the headstock though. Looks almost exactly like a vintage Martin as well

Think I want to stay away from ukes with pickups, but doing a little digging, it looks like "Gretsch Guitars Root Series G9100 Soprano" might be exactly what I'm looking for. Tricky to find the "Roots" version with the tuning pegs in the back of the headstock though. Looks almost exactly like a vintage Martin as well

I hear what your saying. Good luck with your search and hope you'll share pics of what you find.

I have the Johny Marvin Professional Tenor available to you for your price, shipped ConUS See picture.
It has cracks that are stable, I've had this one for ~10 years. A signature model first made by Harmony 1928.View attachment 120221

Top Bottom