NUD: Peanut

Jerryc41

Reaction score
This was supposed to arrive yesterday. Then the post office said it would arrive on Monday. When I got back from the store, it was waiting for me.

The Peanut is a decent size, as you can see compared to the concert Fluke. The little gig bag is nice, but I'm going to see if I have a soprano hard case that will accept it. I like the slotted headstock and the backwards-facing tuners. It has a gold strap button on the lower bout, and the "Bugs Gear" brand name on the headstock. I don't know how this fits into the Bugs Gear family, but Philip K also seems to be the one behind the Eleuke, so brand names may be irrelevant.

It tuned right up, and it sounds nice. If I were beginning a recording career, this would not be my choice of instrument, but for what it is, I have no complaints. The sound is nice, and the volume is okay. It's small enough that it could be tucked away anywhere.

We're playing at a nursing tomorrow, and I'll bring this uke.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/acoustic-and-electric-peanut-ukulele-for-traveling#/comments

01.jpg 02.jpg 05.jpg 04.jpg03.jpg

Nice travel uke! I thought the slotted headstock is a little oversized? Even the fluke headstock is smaller than the peanut. It could be even more appealing as a compact travel uke if they could do a smaller headstock

Hey, it does resemble a peanut! I wonder how it sounds?
We have a lot of Bugs Gear plastic ukes, which don't sound great, but they are way better than a Makala Waterman.
I would imagine the Peanut is a step up from the plastic one.
I wonder if it would fit in my great big "bag lady" purse?

Looks pretty good. Great for travel.

How's the volume? That sound hole really takes up a lot of the top. Is the body solid mahogany?

Looks pretty good. Great for travel.

How's the volume? That sound hole really takes up a lot of the top. Is the body solid mahogany?

I had to look that up. I'm surprised that it is a solid top. I forgot that it came with a strip. Then I saw the specs below. Although it's very light, it's easier to play with it slung over my shoulder.

Acoustic peanut Specification
- Size : Soprano(APE-MH)/Concert(CAPE)
- Scale : 352mm(Soprano)/382mm(Concert)
- Total length : Soprano(545mm-21.4in)/Concert(570mm-22.4in)
- Depth : Soprano(62mm-2.4in)/Concert(62mm-2.4in)
- Width : Soprano(117mm-4.6in)/Concert(125mm-4.9in)
- Tuning : GCEA Standard tuning
- Top board : Solid Mahogany
- Side&Back : Mahogany
- Head Machine : Open type
- Head Shape : Slotted
- Nut&Saddle : Graphite
- Nut width : 34mm(1.33in)
- Finger Board : Scientific wood
- Bridge : Rosewood
- Gig Bag : Included
- Strap : Included

Nice travel uke! I thought the slotted headstock is a little oversized? Even the fluke headstock is smaller than the peanut. It could be even more appealing as a compact travel uke if they could do a smaller headstock

Small body, big head. What can I say? :D

The Fluke has the center open, while the Peanut has the traditional slothead design. Still, I prefer the tuning knobs pointing to the rear. If you consider the total width of each, the Peanut's head is much narrower.

I had to look that up. I'm surprised that it is a solid top. I forgot that it came with a strip. Then I saw the specs below. Although it's very light, it's easier to play with it slung over my shoulder.

Acoustic peanut Specification
- Size : Soprano(APE-MH)/Concert(CAPE)
- Scale : 352mm(Soprano)/382mm(Concert)
- Total length : Soprano(545mm-21.4in)/Concert(570mm-22.4in)
- Depth : Soprano(62mm-2.4in)/Concert(62mm-2.4in)
- Width : Soprano(117mm-4.6in)/Concert(125mm-4.9in)
- Tuning : GCEA Standard tuning
- Top board : Solid Mahogany
- Side&Back : Mahogany
- Head Machine : Open type
- Head Shape : Slotted
- Nut&Saddle : Graphite
- Nut width : 34mm(1.33in)
- Finger Board : Scientific wood
- Bridge : Rosewood
- Gig Bag : Included
- Strap : Included
What the heck is "scientific wood"???

What the heck is "scientific wood"???

Composite. You can't make composite wood without knowing some science. That's why they can call it "scientific." They're are other terms they use for that, but they escape me right now. I think "reconstituted" is another term for something not straight from the tree, as in the Shima uke. "Bridge: Reconstituted rosewood with inset bone saddle"

I'm surprised Google didn't find more -
http://www.nexlabdesign.com/files/84498165.pdf

Last edited:
I ordered the acoustic soprano in red. Received the package yesterday; it was green. On top of that, the bridge is not centered, so the A string is a little closer to the edge than it should be. Rather disappointed. Don't ask me how it sounds; I have a broken right wrist and can't even play it yet.

Jerry, you made the right choice getting the natural wood. I picked green and it is over sprayed with a thick layer of paint that not only smells bad but I think degrades the sound. Sorta cute but the tone is rather horrible.

Looks pretty darn nice, Jerry! I have a similarly sized Eddy Finn P-Nut uke, and I really like how the neck feels. Sound-wise it's not going to blow anyone away, but it plays accurately and is just fun to have around. I call mine my little treble machine!

I ordered the acoustic soprano in red. Received the package yesterday; it was green. On top of that, the bridge is not centered, so the A string is a little closer to the edge than it should be. Rather disappointed. Don't ask me how it sounds; I have a broken right wrist and can't even play it yet.

Sounds like someone at the factory has a red/green problem.

As I said to Martinlover: sandpaper, paint. I wouldn't hesitate to fool around with the appearance. Personalize it.
https://flukeandflea.tumblr.com/

Find someone to paint a picture of Mr. Peanut on it.

Mr. Peanut.jpg

EDIT: Looking at my Peanut, it looks like there's hardly enough room for Mr. Peanut - maybe straight down the middle, through the bridge.

Last edited:
I found a small plastic bag inside the gig bag. It contains what looks like a wound string - low-G. I've never received a ukulele that included a low-G string. Have any of you found that?

Jerry, you made the right choice getting the natural wood. I picked green and it is over sprayed with a thick layer of paint that not only smells bad but I think degrades the sound. Sorta cute but the tone is rather horrible.

It looks like my reply didn't make the trip to the forum. I'll try again.

Two words of advice: sandpaper, paint.

"Rather horrible" is better than "horrible," right? :D

Is the sound not good? I heard the sample recording that Philip K provided. I thought it sounded fine though.

Is the sound not good? I heard the sample recording that Philip K provided. I thought it sounded fine though.

I think the sound is fine - for a small $45 ukulele. I'm bringing it today to play with a group. Switching from the Peanut to a KoAloha, you can hear a difference in sound, but I could buy a dozen Peanuts for the price of one KoAloha. It sounds like a ukulele. It's holding tune better as the strings stretch, and I might change strings to see if that will make it sound better. It's not overly loud, so it would be good for more quiet practicing. So, I'm satisfied with the sound and the volume, considering the price.

That solves the color,assuming I want to invest the time, but what about the bridge? I realized I wasn't buying a Koaloha, but I certainly did expect it to be put together properly. I wrote an email to Philip to see what can be done about this.

That solves the color,assuming I want to invest the time, but what about the bridge? I realized I wasn't buying a Koaloha, but I certainly did expect it to be put together properly. I wrote an email to Philip to see what can be done about this.

Yeah, that's a shame. Regardless of the cost, it should be assembled correctly. Removing the bridge a reattaching it would leave a mark. I recently noticed that the bridge on my Flea is slightly off center, so the strings aren't centered over the sound hole, but I can live with it.

Does the off center bridge affect your strumming the Flea? Does it make your A string closer to the fretboard edge, or your G string?

Top Bottom