KA-ASMT bridge

Johnny Calzone

Reaction score
Sup everybody... first off: Great site, been lurking for a while now, you guys deliver uke wisdom in such jocular fashion that I am delighted every single time I come here. :shaka:

So, the bridge on my new Kala Tenor seems to unglue itself from the soundboard. But given that it's been that way ever since I unpacked it I figured Kala just builds them like that:

bridgez.jpg

Do I have to worry or can I keep strumming?

I know several folks who have a Kala instrument and have yet to see the bridge '"pop/lift" like that. And they change strings quite often. I would suggest calling/inquiring with your seller and see what can be done. Or you can contact via email or call Kala explaining the problem and how it can be resolved.

The bridge on my mango Kala started to lift like that not too long ago. I think it was cuz I used to leave it in the back seat of my car all the time, hot or cold. It didn't seem to affect the tone though. I'm not too worried about mine since I got my KoAloha, but you might wanna see what you can do about warranties and whatnot.

After another UUer posted about a Kala bridge popping off I checked my new ASMT. On mine the back of the bridge definitely has a few mm where there is no glue underneath. There is a tiny gap that is very hard to see, but the back is definitely not tight against the top, and if you hold it up to the light and look from the side you can see that there is no glue under the back 5 or 6mm. The bridge doesn't seem to be lifting yet, but I am very uncomfortable about it not being glued properly.

I've been playing acoustic string instruments for 35+ years and I can tell when a bridge isn't quite as cleanly and securely fixed as it should be.

I am lucky enough to know some good luthiers. I am going to have my Kala ASMT checked out and, if necessary have the bridge removed and re-glued. I probably would have problems getting work done under warranty as I have made mods to the instrument (polished the top and fitted a pickup - neither process involved touching the bridge).

I really like the Kala, but I am worried about the several bridge lift/failure issues that have been reported here. I was going to save for a Kala acacia, but this gives me pause.

Is there a Kala rep on UU who can respond?

Johnny, I would definitely get that looked at by a pro, my friend.

yikes...

The saddle in that picture looks pretty bad, I would un-string that instrument and not play it until it gets fixed....

I love my KALA tenor, and I just looked to make sure it is securely glued. I noticed there is a spot near one of the corners between the saddle and the soundboard where I can almost stick my finger nail in there, I've never heard anything bad about KALA before but now you guys have got me worried, I almost want to take my strings off and re-glue it. Yikes...

Isn't the bridge on a Kala ukulele screwed to the body? Mine has two little screw hole covers on top of the bridge, at least that is what I think they are. Am I wrong? :confused:

That's what I thought when I saw the two little plugs on my bridge, but from Johnny's pic it doesn't look like it, and when I look at the underside of mine with a dental mirror I see only a very thin brace/bridge plate. Longer than most bridge plates, but really thin. Any screws would have to be really tiny.

I just checked my Kala Ukes. My mango soprano's bridge is down tight, and I can't get my fingernail under it from any side. Same deal with my KA-ASLAT (Lacewood/Spruce Tenor), but this one has a different style bridge with kind of 'wings' coming off the sides.

Thanks for the quick replies! I took the uke to a local music store and they're fixing it right now. :cool:

those the old bridges... now they use a more traditional bridge that is longer and flatter.

looks more like this...
bridge_pyramid.jpg

You should contact your dealer or Kala to get the bridge fixed under warranty. If you return to the dealer, Kala will instruct them to fix it if the dealer has a luthier and reimburse the dealer for the work. Otherwise you would have to pay for shipping to Kala. I've seen this happen before and the bridge took off some wood from the top.

I didn't call on the warranty because I didn't feel like sending it across the globe and waiting weeks for it to come in the mail...

Top Bottom