Open G

Reaction score
I have tried searching on this forum and on Google for uke chord shapes in open G without luck. Does anyone have a link, perhaps.

Genuinely curious because I know very little about alternate tunings [today I learned what open G tuning meant]... Why would you tune to open G?

Why would you tune to open G?
I don't use it but I can see the logic. Look at the chord chart. Certain chords are a lot easier to make in open G than standard tuning. Of course, some are harder. So if you want to play a song with lots of the easy ones, then maybe you want to consider the open tuning.

Another reason might be to mess with your "standard tuning" mind and discover new musical fields.
It worked for Joni Mitchell and many others; and it's fun to explore new territory.
It might also keep dementia away, hooray!!!

Very interesting. Thanks for the insight! I suppose [going off of that earlier thread about capos and stuff] that it may sound or feel a little bit different too. I guess I should try it sometime. It'd be an interesting workout in fundamentals and music theory.

Open tunings are a lot of fun with a slide!

There are several that are close enough to GCEA that you don't need to change strings. GBDG is open G and no more than a step off on any string. GCEC is only one and a half steps up on the a string. ACEG is not quite open (it's an inversion of standard) and gives three string barres for both minor and major chords.

Slides are a also a good alternate when you slice your fretting fingers ;)

Open tunings allow for greater freedom to fret melody notes while allowing unfretted strings to ring in key or harmony. Many guitarist who play blues based music use open tunings.
I like experimenting but I often forget or do not even know what my Uke strings are tuned to. One of these days I'll clip a tuner on and check. Providing the sound is what I want that is what counts.

Be careful with that one. The 'a' string is often higher tension than the rest already and trying to go up 3 semitones could easily snap. Probably safer on soprano

GCEG is also open C and involves tuning the A string Down a tone. A lot safer than tuning up 3 semitones and the reduction in tension is actually quite small.

Edit to add, the only time I've had a string break was retuning a soprano up to ADF#B and it was the A string that broke. Admittedly, the strings had been on for some time and were probably due for a change anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom