Pricing an Old Kamaka for Sale

BBegall

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have a soprano Kamaka Gold Label with an original (I think) hard case.
This is the only ukulele that I rarely, if ever, play. I love tenors and baritones and it's simply too small for me or perhaps I'm just ham handed enough not to enjoy it.

I want to sell it for a low but fair price but I have no idea how to value it. I see prime condition models selling for fairly high prices and others going for much less. This instrument was not in great condition and had a crack in the back. I brought it to the LoPrinzi shop to recondition it and they repaired the crack and told me they strengthened the whole assembly. They lowered the action and cleaned it up but some scratches and dings remain. Donna LoPrinzi told me how impressed she was with the sound of this uke. I know she's right because this small uke has amazing volume and tone.

I think I have to sell this locally or regionally to someone who can play it and see what they are getting and be satisfied with the price and value but again I have no idea what the price range should be though I was thinking around $350.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I think your price is fair. I’ve seen some go higher and lower depending on condition. If there is white binding around the soundboard, then it is a deluxe model and should be around $800+. When selling, think about including a sound sample to maximize price...plus the rest of us want to hear the amazing volume and tone. Hahaha

BBegall,
I sent you a PM.

I think your price is fair. I’ve seen some go higher and lower depending on condition. If there is white binding around the soundboard, then it is a deluxe model and should be around $800+.

From $350 to $800 because of binding? I'm puzzled.
From the ones I've seen on-line, those bound models don't have fancier wood...
But I am a learner, would love to hear more.

Bgal, I was able to buy my little Kamaka Sop with seam repairs for around the $350 mark on Reverb, so that seems about right for a "good" price. You can't rely on current listings because there are inflated listings (especially from Japan), but a search on Ebay "sold" listings will give you a truer picture...

I paid GBP£325 on eBay about 2 years ago for a soprano Kamaka made around 1970. It did not have a full description so that might have depressed the price. It had a small separation on the back and side that was easily repaired by the club luthier.

When you sell, be sure to mention the repair and setup by a top luthier. Perhaps even include the quote from her. These little Kamakas really do ring out with the classic ukulele sound.

Top Bottom