PDA

View Full Version : Ohana Quilted Eucalyptus Line

Jerryc41
08-04-2019, 05:21 AM
Ohana has a new line of Quilted Eucalyptus ukes. The wood pattern is beautiful, but they're not tempting me. Any opinions.

https://ohana-music.com/brilliantly-blonde-ohanas-quilted-eucalyptus-line/

Jim Hanks
08-04-2019, 08:50 AM
I like the looks except that I'm not really a fan of the slotted headstock as some are. And it's hard for me to wrap my mind around $619 (street price). The laminate at $309 seems hard to swallow too.

stevejfc
08-04-2019, 10:59 AM
Looks very similar to quilted maple.

John boy
08-04-2019, 11:32 AM
I will be interested to hear if anyone here on UU has played a eucalyptus uke. They look beautiful, but they are pretty pricey. I have one Ohana uke (solid mahogany baritone) and it's okay, nothing special. I wonder how these eucalyptus ukes will sound.

Davoravo
08-04-2019, 02:04 PM
The whole idea of eucalyptus seems unusual to me, this is a wood soaked in volatile essential oils. Surely, itís physical and tonal properties will change over time and the wood will shrink? It may be a wonderful tonewood but it may be a disaster over time. Mind you I am cautious of mango wood as well. Having said that I really like Ohana ukuleles generally and these are beautiful.

ksiegel
08-04-2019, 02:33 PM
I've got the 450EQL concert, and I had Mim add an L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickup. It sounds great, and feels great. I changed the strings a couple of weeks ago from Aquila Nylgut to Worth Brown, and they are just settling in (The weird humidity and up/down temps this summer haven't been helping). I played a Farmer's Market with it on Friday, and only had to do some minor tuning adjustments over the 3 hour period.

I have to do some fret filing where the frets go over the body - the four Humidipacks I had in the case during the winter weren't quite enough; )I neglected to recognize that the wooden case needed humidification, too.) overall, however, the instrument is class. I'll try and get a video up within the next week.

-Kurt

John boy
08-04-2019, 02:50 PM
A video would be great, I look forward to hearing it (and seeing it). Jerry, thanks for starting this thread. I wasn't aware of eucalyptus ukes at all.

Nickie
08-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Darn you Jerry....you enabler, you!
Gawd, that wood is lovely. I prefer lighter colored woods to the darker colours.
They do seem a little pricey, but they are unique.
I had no idea that eucalyptus could be used to build ukuleles. I wonder how long the ageing/drying process is?
I suppose Ken Middleton could tell us, as he is their main rep, I guess.

Bill1
08-04-2019, 08:25 PM
There are lots of varieties of eucalypts. The oil is harvested from the leaves and a few don't really have a lot of oil. Jarrah (Eucalyptus marginata) has been used for tone wood, so have a few others.
Some of the varieties are rare and endangered. Some are well managed in sustainable plantations.
There has been dreadful and sadly legal harvesting of some varieties across the natural range of Koalas and their native friends. If you are concerned about habitat and making sure that the wood comes from one of the many sustainable eucalypt forestries on the plant, you should be asking Ohana to identify where the wood is being harvested from.
It does not matter how pretty it is if it has been harvested from the Central Coastal Areas of Australia's East coast where the habitat is being destroyed by over-clearing at an alarming rate. Koalas and other species need food plants and shelter to avoid extinction.
I recommend avoiding the product if the source of the wood is not clearly identified.
This is a link to habitat loss in Australia. Please check the source of Eucalyptus wood before buying anything made out of it. The habitat loss has been "legal" but it has doen nothing for the wild animals and plants. The Koala is like a flagship animal everyone knows. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/sep/09/australia-cleared-77m-hectares-of-threatened-species-habitat-since-introduction-of-environment-act

Jerryc41
08-05-2019, 01:42 AM
They look beautiful, but they are pretty pricey.

Yes, and they are limited production, which usually means a higher price. "Get one now or get one never."

stevejfc
08-05-2019, 02:49 AM
Hopefully wood from these ukes is harvested from Ecuador or Peru where there is an overabundance of eucalypts farms...………..to the point where local vegetation has been crowded out.

Jerryc41
08-05-2019, 02:56 AM
Hopefully wood from these ukes is harvested from Ecuador or Peru where there is an overabundance of eucalypts farms...………..to the point where local vegetation has been crowded out.

Otherwise, the Koalas will be demonstrating! :D

Davoravo
08-05-2019, 10:20 AM
Otherwise, the Koalas will be demonstrating! :D

Very, very slowly