Ohana Quilted Eucalyptus Line

I like the looks except that I'm not really a fan of the slotted headstock as some are. And it's hard for me to wrap my mind around $619 (street price). The laminate at $309 seems hard to swallow too.

I will be interested to hear if anyone here on UU has played a eucalyptus uke. They look beautiful, but they are pretty pricey. I have one Ohana uke (solid mahogany baritone) and it's okay, nothing special. I wonder how these eucalyptus ukes will sound.

The whole idea of eucalyptus seems unusual to me, this is a wood soaked in volatile essential oils. Surely, it’s physical and tonal properties will change over time and the wood will shrink? It may be a wonderful tonewood but it may be a disaster over time. Mind you I am cautious of mango wood as well. Having said that I really like Ohana ukuleles generally and these are beautiful.

Last edited:
I've got the 450EQL concert, and I had Mim add an L.R. Baggs 5.0 pickup. It sounds great, and feels great. I changed the strings a couple of weeks ago from Aquila Nylgut to Worth Brown, and they are just settling in (The weird humidity and up/down temps this summer haven't been helping). I played a Farmer's Market with it on Friday, and only had to do some minor tuning adjustments over the 3 hour period.

I have to do some fret filing where the frets go over the body - the four Humidipacks I had in the case during the winter weren't quite enough; )I neglected to recognize that the wooden case needed humidification, too.) overall, however, the instrument is class. I'll try and get a video up within the next week.

-Kurt​

A video would be great, I look forward to hearing it (and seeing it). Jerry, thanks for starting this thread. I wasn't aware of eucalyptus ukes at all.

Darn you Jerry....you enabler, you!
Gawd, that wood is lovely. I prefer lighter colored woods to the darker colours.
They do seem a little pricey, but they are unique.
I had no idea that eucalyptus could be used to build ukuleles. I wonder how long the ageing/drying process is?
I suppose Ken Middleton could tell us, as he is their main rep, I guess.

Hopefully wood from these ukes is harvested from Ecuador or Peru where there is an overabundance of eucalypts farms...………..to the point where local vegetation has been crowded out.

Top Bottom