NUD: Martin C1K All Solid Hawaiian Koa Ukulele

Swiftsailor98

Reaction score
The postman delivered my Martin C1K this Saturday. I was so excited, but I wanted to give it a day to let it settle into the Florida environment before I really evaluated it against my other ukes.

Hometown-fueled UAS: Having grown up in Allentown, PA (a stone’s throw from Nazareth) and learning of C.F. Martin’s ukulele history, I’ve been eyeing a Martin ukulele. This C1K fits the bill and stays within the budget while adding an all solid Koa to the family.

Aesthetics: As you saw in my recent post, I bought this one from Mim and I picked this one specifically for the Koa grain pattern. The C1K as a style/line is not normally figured or curly in its Koa, but I loved the look of the back. I’m using Mim’s photos because they really show off the figuring.

Specifications from MartinGuitars.com and observations:
  • Concert Ukulele
  • All Solid Koa Top Sides and Back
  • Dovetailed neck construction and Sitka Spruce bracing
  • Sipo** bridge and fretboard
  • 15 in scale - 12 frets to the body / 17 frets in all
  • 1-13/32 in (36 mm) width at the nut - approx 1-3/16 (31 mm) from G to A
  • Hand-rubbed natural finish
  • Open-back Grover tuners
  • Tusq Nut and Compensated Saddle
  • Strap buttons on the neck and lower bout installed by Mim

[**I had to look it up… Sipo (entandrophragma utile) is typically reddish in color and aesthetically close to mahogany. It is harder than its African Mahogany (Khaya) cousins, but not as hard as genuine Mahogany (swietenia macrophylla). It is also similar to Sapele (entandrophragma cylindricum), but more porous and richer in color.]

Sound: I tested my three main ukes by strumming and picking through a couple songs with a Tascam DR-05 recording from my music stand—sorry no sound posts (kids in the background and the playing’s not ready for public consumption). The strings are as listed in my signature. After listening to the recording to get an audience perspective rather than what I’m hearing, here are a few observations:
Concert to Concert:
  • The C1K has sustain ‘for days’
  • As you would suspect, the C1K sounds more open, and complex — I look forward to how it sounds two years from now
  • Volume seems about the same, but that may be because the Blacklines on the laminate spruce top really project on the Eddy Finn.
  • I’m anxious to explore strings on C1K. I’ve had a couple members suggest the Martin Premiums (M610’s).
Concert to Tenor:
  • Obviously the Kala Tenor is deeper and more full, but the solid koa on C1K sounds warmer than the solid spruce.

Baggage: The C1K comes with a great C.F. Martin embroidered padded gig bag. That will be great for around town and careful storage in a house full of kids and dogs. And while the C1K fits well in my Eddy Finn Concert Hard Case, I think I’m going to look for its own hard case for when I want to take it on road trips or carry it on flights.

What’s next: I’m headed to one of my local TBUS events to enjoy the C1K sound in a group.

mbblbh9emxswntsnkzy3.jpg
jklq59rgmztsp1b0rikm.jpg
miqo7pifzwfm5z7selkh.jpg
xytdsvlxr1phwn7ibtpu.jpg

Wow! Beautiful Koa. I have yet to hear/play a Martin C1K that didn't sound stellar. I believe these are the best bargains in an all wood Koa ukulele.

Enjoy that C1K.

Jim

Congratulations on the acquisition!

I got my C1K as a floor model from Reverb at a decent discount. Also, the wood wasn't nearly as pretty as yours. I'm delighted with the sound and playability. All in all, a great value.

Just did my first string change and switched to the Martin/Aquila Premium Polygut strings. They're more tactile than the M600s. Can't say they're significantly better, only different. Maybe a bit more resonant. YMMV. Had to experiment since Martin is shipping its high-end ukes with the polyguts standard.

Enjoy!

Congrats on your new C1K! Wow on that pattern and even the front looks great too!

The C1K matches or even better than the K Brands’ equivalents. I have played all three concerts (kamaka, koaloha, kanilea). I don’t think you can find another all solid koa with similar sound and playability at this price point.

Currently my C1K is fitted with kamaka Low G black strings. Not a common choice but I think it’s the best sounding low g tuning ever. It just works for me.

Intriquing ukulele, it is among models I am considering for my next concert ukulele...

I understand that the specimens of this model dont come out exactly the same, it is nice when the dealer has pictures of the one you can get.

What to go for, Martin, Kamaka or Kanilea...
I do like the look of the Martin shape.

Hi Adam.
Nickie from TBUS here.
Congrats on your new Martin. I hope I get to hear you play it!

Congrat's! I had a C1K back in about 2013-2014, it was a great sounding uke! I only sold it to get a Hawaiian made instrument...

Top Bottom