Advice selling a Kamaka Deluxe Hb-2D

trouble_clef

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received a Kamaka HB-2D in a partial trade for a guitar I sold, and I'm looking to part with it. I'm not a uke player, but I hear the "K brand" ukuleles are pretty nice. I of course have no point of reference for this, but it's certainly a spiffy looking and pleasant sounding little guy.

What would be a fair price to move this along for? I'll provide photos later this evening and perhaps post it to the FS area here. I'm not interested in a haggle, I just want to find a loving home for a price that makes myself and the eventual new owner happy - Thanks!

Hi everyone,

I received a Kamaka HB-2D in a partial trade for a guitar I sold, and I'm looking to part with it. I'm not a uke player, but I hear the "K brand" ukuleles are pretty nice. I of course have no point of reference for this, but it's certainly a spiffy looking and pleasant sounding little guy.

What would be a fair price to move this along for? I'll provide photos later this evening and perhaps post it to the FS area here. I'm not interested in a haggle, I just want to find a loving home for a price that makes myself and the eventual new owner happy - Thanks!

You are the happy (albeit temporary) owner of a Kamaka Ohta-San Concert Deluxe Ukulele! The MSRP on a new one is usually about $2200-2400. A lot of things will affect the price. What year was it made? If you look inside the soundhole toward the neck, you should see a stamp or label that indicates the year of the ukulele. The condition of the uke: are there any structural issues (bridge popping off, cracks, separations, fret sprout, etc.); are there any cosmetic issues (scratches, dings, finish wearing off, etc.)

I would say that generally speaking, people tend to ask for about 20-30% off MSRP and then depending on how motivated the seller is they may accept a lower price. Assuming the uke is fairly new and in mint shape without flaws, 70-80% of MSRP would be between $1500-1900.

If you have structural or cosmetic issues, the price could reflect that. Some would say, depending on the year, it could affect the price too. if you have a 2016 model, that is a centennial model and is "rarer" so that might make it go a little higher. At some point in time, the head luthier, Casey Kamaka was solely building these, so if it is an older model, that might drive up the price a little also.

Ohta-Sans are fantastic instruments. I love mine. It is probably my best sounding uke! I've often toyed with the idea of getting a second one, because I love mine so much. (Maybe you should keep it!)

Far and away, the thing that really moves instruments, in my opinion, are PICTURES!

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Good luck!
Rich

When I want to sell something, I do a search and see what others are asking. "Asking" is a key word. You can ask $1 million, but how much will people pay. Unfortunately, the price is often removed after an item is sold.
https://reverb.com/item/13219761-kamaka-hb-2d-concert-ohta-san-2018-all-koa-as-new

The funny thing is this is the exact instrument, I bought! It is terrific! (and I paid basically what is listed there)...

Now I want to go home and pull it out and play it...

Last edited:
This one is indeed all Koa! Thanks so much for all the helpful info! I'll snap some nice pics tonight or tomorrow, update this thread and throw it up in the classifieds. Not sure of the year, but I'll check when I get back home.

Just snapped a few photos - It's a 2005. Handsome little bugger!

0iF33grl.jpg

2i8fX8Kl.jpg

mtndkZJl.jpg

SirHt2nl.jpg

That looks really nice! The Koa looks very curly. It looks like Aquila Lava or Martin Premium strings with Schaller friction tuners. (Some people will prefer geared, but it shouldn't affect the tone).

That looks like a nice one! Really good job with the pictures. I guess I need to figure out how to up my picture taking game.
Rich

That looks really nice! The Koa looks very curly. It looks like Aquila Lava or Martin Premium strings with Schaller friction tuners. (Some people will prefer geared, but it shouldn't affect the tone).

That looks like a nice one! Really good job with the pictures. I guess I need to figure out how to up my picture taking game.
Rich

I don't know what they were using in 2005, but current listings for the Kamaka Ohta San say that they have Gotoh Planetary geared tuners with ivoroid buttons.

I had a 2012 Ohta-san that is only 1 of 2 ukuleles that I have ever regretted selling. Wonderful instruments......and in my mind the very best Kamaka that is generally available. I believe the 2012 were the 1st year that the geared Schaller tuners were standard...……..they were an upgrade option prior to that. The koa on yours is particularly striking. Congrats on a super uke!

I had a 2012 Ohta-san that is only 1 of 2 ukuleles that I have ever regretted selling. Wonderful instruments......and in my mind the very best Kamaka that is generally available. I believe the 2012 were the 1st year that the geared Schaller tuners were standard...……..they were an upgrade option prior to that. The koa on yours is particularly striking. Congrats on a super uke!

Thanks for clarifying when the geared tuners became standard. Seems like they're using Gotoh Planetary geared tuners now? Is that correct?

But, either way, I agree that they are wonderful instruments.

Top Bottom