Centennial Style 3 Martin or Kamaka, which will be worth more "down the road"?

rhiggie

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Centennial Style 3 Martin or Kamaka, which will be worth more "down the road"?

Two great American ukulele builders with 100+ years in the business. Any opinions on which will hold it's value better or be more collectable as time goes on? By the way, not a trick question, and no right/wrong answer. Just wondering what you think? Seems the vintage Martins seem to have the higher values these days...

Attachments

• Martin 100.jpg
    Martin 100.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Kamaka 100.jpg
    Kamaka 100.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 38
That is a tough call. I think all things being equal, I think the market will be kind to both. They're limited numbers of the 100th anniversary Kamaka (I don't know the exact number built, but they made them throughout 2016) and the Style 3 Centennial was limited to 100 total made. I am a Martin fan, but not really a vintage Martin aficionado. While they sound awesome, there can be some headaches with 100 year old instruments. But that's just me because lots of folks collect the vintage stuff only.

I think if you're buying as an investment, it will be many years before either escalate in price (if they ever do). But, you picked the two makers that I see holding value over time.

Jim

Two great American ukulele builders with 100+ years in the business. Any opinions on which will hold it's value better or be more collectable as time goes on? By the way, not a trick question, and no right/wrong answer. Just wondering what you think? Seems the vintage Martins seem to have the higher values these days...
Not sure if the Kamaka are built differently than the other Kamakas. The centennial style 3 sounds much better than most Mahogany sopranos from Martin.. I don’t know about appreciation but your will land up with a uke that sounds nice and different.

I'm thinking Martin. It's got a stronger name with guitarists who are already used to spending crazy amounts on collectible instruments anyway.

I would like to think that Martin and Kamaka would appreciate in value. My observation and experience is that they have lost value the past few years, especially the Martin sopranos. There are exceptions as in absolutely mint ones, but as a player I sold my one and only one because I couldn't play it with any gusto (finger nails marks and such). I find it interesting that people talk about the Centennial offerings and yet there is little interest in acquiring the 100 year old rescued Martins posted on the Market place. Played one at the jam today, I don't have any problems about hearing myself play, let alone feeling it hum along. Are my offerings depressing the market?

I believe the original price of the Martin was twice that of the Kamaka soprano. I’m guessing more Kamakas were produced, but I don’t have the numbers. Based on that, it would seem that the Martin might be more rare down-the-road and therefore worth more. That said, neither one may ever be worth $5k to $10k; unless that road is spanning 50 to 100 years at which point a laminate Kala might cost $2k.

John

I believe the original price of the Martin was twice that of the Kamaka soprano. I’m guessing more Kamakas were produced, but I don’t have the numbers. Based on that, it would seem that the Martin might be more rare down-the-road and therefore worth more. That said, neither one may ever be worth $5k to $10k; unless that road is spanning 50 to 100 years at which point a laminate Kala might cost $2k.
John
Yup! Most uke appreciations will be realized by grand or great grand kids..

I would bet on the Martin. It's not a basic soprano, so that Centennial Style 3 should be worth a lot as time goes on. Since the Kamaka is the Anniversary edition, it will also hold its value in the future, but I still give the advantage to Martin. I look forward to checking prices in fifty years. : )

EDIT: Martin on Reverb with an asking price of $2,099. Kamaka price, $1,000.
https://reverb.com/p/martin-style-3-centennial-mahogany-soprano-ukulele
https://reverb.com/item/24576595-ka...gn=673001018&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google

Last edited:
Personally I think it depends where it was sold. If it was in the US then probably the Martin but elsewhere I think the Kamaka would have more value.

To me, it would depend on the sound, tone, etc. Of course, I don't buy to resell later, I buy to play the h--- out of.

I would think that condition of the instrument and whatever is the fad at the time of anticipate sale would also affect the value. Probably more importantly, if the line of production ended, would the value skyrocket?

Top Bottom