uke strings

xuthal

Reaction score
Hello all im new to this forum and the ukulele,I just bought a mahalo tenor uke today and have been having fun playing it.The problem im having is with tuning stability.When i tuned it to pitch the tuners kept slipping so i replaced them with some old guitar tuners that were laying around.Now they still slip but not as drastically as before.Could the problem be with the strings?The factory strings are the clear ones.Being new to the uke im not sure about the strings or whether they need time to stretch like guitar strings.Any suggestions?

you can check the UU store.

if problem persists after 2 days of intense playing, or a week of mediocre playing, .. then I don't know.

You can always tune the uke up 1/2 or 1 step up from standard and strum away. It should help accelerate the stretching.

It also depends on the type of string you're using. Some brands need little or no stretch time; others seem to take several days, even a week or more to settle in.

You don't usually need to change geared tuners: look for tightening screws on them (on open tuners they hold the gear in place). That's usually all you need to adjust. Friction tuners have them too. Just don't over-tighten or they'll be tough to turn.​

You can always tune the uke up 1/2 or 1 step up from standard and strum away. It should help accelerate the stretching.

Roy's method always works for me, tune it up and hit em hard! If the strings keep stretching they're probably not doing your uke justice and getting your full sound potential. Replace them with good strings.

Top Bottom