Flight TUS-35

jer

Reaction score
Hi all. I recently got a Flight TUS-35 soprano in yellow as my way back into ukulele after a hiatus (have played off and on for many years, but play around with other instruments too).

Here are some thoughts on the one I received:

Build quality:
Very cleanly and well built. No issues whatsoever here.
Tuning machines are snugly installed, no protruding screws or anything. Machines work just fine. Everything fits together well. A+

For those not familiar, this uke has a molded plastic back. Neck and fretboard are also plastic as well as the built in frets. A laminated linden wood top with laminated wood front of headstock inset completes the build.

*Note: I've heard some compare the build of these to a Fluke or Flea since you have the molded plastic back with laminate top. I can see why that comparison would be made, but to get to where this really originated you have to go back farther. The Ovation guitar company (Kaman Music was another name associated with them) was the first company I know of who made a plastic bowl back type instrument. They also released a more budget line called Applause that shares that same bowl back. They added ukes to their lineup eventually using the same design model. I believe the design of this uke to be very close to what used to be an Applause UA10 uke. It's just a mini version of their guitar backs really. I just wanted to give credit where credit is due as I believe Ovation guitars originated this idea and not Magic Fluke who came along much later than Ovation Guitars. I wouldn't be surprised if this same back mold for the Flight ukes was the one used for those Ovation/Applause ukes years ago.

Setup, feel, etc.:
Action comes in at roughly 3mm mark at the 12th by my less than perfect measuring. So it's pretty standard. I would neither call it high or low.
Action at the nut also feels just fine to me. The zero fret appears to be slightly taller than it has to be, but no issues. Really, it's in a very acceptable zone as far as height goes.
It seems to be a popular notion around here that a zero fret is the magic cure for any intonation or playability issues, but I find that to be false. It's not any better than a properly slotted nut.
A good negative example here would be the Woodi USA, also sold as Grover Trophy at Mus. Friend/Guitar Center. I got to play around with one of those a bit recently and the zero fret was ridiculously tall leading to very poor action. It is tall enough that it would effect the action on up the board too. It can be carefully filed or sanded down though.

Back to the flight:
The back of the neck has a wood grain look to it even though it's plastic. If you run your hand up and down you can also feel the texture of this grain. I don't really notice it much or at all while playing. That said, this could possibly be a turn-off to some. If I had wooden neck that felt like this I'd smooth it a bit with sandpaper.

I am wondering how well the plastic frets will hold up. Only time will tell. I also wonder about the silver paint on the frets. I really like that as it makes it easy to see them. I suppose those could be repainted too if needed. Speaking of the frets, they are thin and low. A player would be much less likely to pull a note sharp by fretting too hard with this type of fret.

Intonation is fine on this one.

Looks:
I chose the yellow. It and the white one were within a dollar of each other when I purchased. To me, it looks a bit more pale than in the pictures. Someone noted that in a review I read. I really like the color.
I love their headstock design. The bridge design is also very nice. It reminds me of wings on the sides. Maybe that was their intention, since it is a Flight. Speaking of which, I like the brand name too. I can take or leave the inlays on the fretboard. They are kind of neat.
There are 3 dots on the side of the board that appear to be painted on rather than set into the mold. If they wear off eventually it won't be a big deal. More could be painted on.

Sound:
I don't like to comment on sound since we all hear things differently as well as our playing style, choice of strings, etc. effects that.

The uke ships with Aquila super nylgut strings. I find that these start holding tune very quickly compared to other strings. They've always felt just a bit hard to me. I do think they are good strings though.
I decided to put on one of my favorites: La Bella #200 strings. They are rectified nylon, low tension, with a soft feel. They do have texture to them though so there can be a bit of a "swoosh" type sound when sliding around on them. It's not a squeak...at least in my experience.
I like the feel a lot better with these strings. Also, unless something has changed you can cut the strings in the package in half and get 2 soprano sets...for under $4 often... I am thinking these might not wear on frets as quickly as some others too...If I'm right, that'd be an added bonus.

To my ears it sounds exactly like......an ukulele! :D
For me, it has plenty of volume and a sound that I can be happy with.

Case: It comes with a very basic, thin case with the flight logo on it. It's more or less a dust cover, but I'm glad it was included. I just play at home right now, but if I were going to get out and about more I'd invest in a better case. It suits me just fine for around the house.

Final word: I am very happy with this uke and thankful to have it!
I think it's a great value for under $50, which is what I paid. I like that it is more durable and won't require as much attention as a wooden instrument. I think it will serve me well as my only uke....and only stringed instrument right now other than a couple home-made diddley bow type instruments. It checks all the boxes of what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Welcome back to ukulele. Have fun!

Excellent review of your Yellow Flight soprano. Enjoy.

I have this same model and same pleasing color. Your review is spot on. I actually like carrying it around in the dust bag as it is so portable ... throw it in my daypack with minimal fear of damage.

Nice review, Jer! I have this uke in the bold orange color (very cool-looking), and I agree with your assessment right across the board. It's a remarkably playable, accurate and decent-sounding instrument. As we used to say in the old days, "Not a thing wrong with it." That's not to say that it will cure UAS, of course, but for a person who simply wants a durable uke to have around, it could easily be your one-and-only. I personally enjoy the fun of letting UAS get the better of me from time to time, however, just for the fun of experiencing what's out there!

Yes, great little ukes, and not just "for the money". I played my daughter's recently, and was again surprised how great is plays & sounds for under $50.00. The painted frets are a nice touch, not sure why Fleas and Flukes don't have that feature, it really helps, IMO.

You know you need one! ;)

"I am wondering how well the plastic frets will hold up." --- I would fear this too.
Can we get some pics too?

"I am wondering how well the plastic frets will hold up." --- I would fear this too.
Can we get some pics too?

The plastic frets on fleas and flukes seem to hold up well, so I would imagine the same results here.

Thanks all! :)
I'm glad to see that there are others enjoying this fine instrument.

I don't have a way to take good pics, sorry. I tried one, but it just doesn't show up right.
At least on my computer, the one in the following demo video looks pretty close to the color I see in person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsBzChEviB8

That's a good sound sample too, in my opinion.

Here is the one a picked up earlier this summer. I am using the Martin premium carbon polygut strings. They sound good and I like the look along with the black top.

IMG_0386.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the one a picked up earlier this summer. I am using the Martin premium carbon polygut strings. They sound good and I like the look along with the black top.

View attachment 120433
Nice! Stealth ukulele. :cool: Looks good! I really like how the lighter color of the neck material borders the headstock on that from the front.

I haven't tried those Martin strings yet on anything, but maybe someday. I do like the ones that D'Addario collaborated with Aquila on (Nyltech).

I am liking this uke more every day.

Last edited:
Nice! Stealth ukulele. :cool: Looks good! I really like how the lighter color of the neck material borders the headstock on that from the front.

I haven't tried those Martin strings yet on anything, but maybe someday. I do like the ones that D'Addario collaborated with Aquila on (Nyltech).

I am liking this uke more every day.

Thanks! that was the direction I was going with that. I like the Martin premiums. They are very resonant and feel great.

Top Bottom